BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 3h, 32m | CPU: 42% | MEM: 2007MB of 4093MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: PC version of Hot Wheels Worldrace and PGA-Sockets?        Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:46 pm 

Hello there,

I know that there is a quite similar post on this Forum, but I'm new here and don't have a FTP-Access...

It's about the old (and for me the best) PC game called Hot Wheels World race, which refuses to boot from the cd on modern hardware,
because of this hardware-check.

I have a PC and a HP-Laptop. The Processor of my Gaming PC and/or my Laptop isn't the matter at all: it is the processor!

My Laptop has an Intel Celeron (with CHV-Sockets) while my Gaming-PC has a Intel Xeon E3 1230 v3 3.30 GHz (with LGA-Sockets).

The game is installed in a Windows XP-VM (with SP3, x86). When the VM is copied to my laptop or when it is on my gaming-PC, Worldrace won't boot from the CD/ISO, because both processors wouldn't be supported.

But fortunately my mother has an old Macbook with an Intel Core 2 Duo (with PGA-Sockets):
Put the VM on this Macbook, start the VM, launched Worldrace via my ISO-file and it booted successfully, the hardware-check succeed and I was able to install the game.

Once I looked after the Socket type of the Processor of my own laptop, the one of my mother's old Macbook, the one of my gaming pc and the Sockets of the recommended processors of Worldrace.

The recommended Processors and the Intel Core 2 Duo both have PGA-Sockets, on which the Game (should certainly boot successfully from the cd) booted successfully from the cd. The ones of my laptop/my gaming pc don't don't have PGA-Sockets...

But when I got it ones installed I put the VM back onto my gaming pc and launched the game via the desktop icon; I was able to play it .... (?)

This behaviour seems very very strange to me.

"Does the Failure of the hardware-check has to do something with the wrong socket type (not PGA)?", I then asked myself.

What do you think about that?

Old Gamer

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PC version of Hot Wheels Worldrace and PGA-Sockets?        Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
3.11 WfW, 98SE, 5.1.2464, LH4001
Hardware checking is broken and it prevents from installing, all the magic. It has nothing to do with sockets, lol.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PC version of Hot Wheels Worldrace and PGA-Sockets?        Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:07 pm 

But why does it work on the Intel Core 2 Duo?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PC version of Hot Wheels Worldrace and PGA-Sockets?        Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
3.11 WfW, 98SE, 5.1.2464, LH4001
I don't know, I don't have a source code for this checker.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PC version of Hot Wheels Worldrace and PGA-Sockets?        Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:40 am 

And why has the game this weird hardware-check? What advantages has such a check?

I mean games normally recognize if your hardware doesn't meet the "minimum requirements" and simply refuse to install.
And I'm able to launch this game from the desktop icon on my gaming-PC. So the check doesn't make any sense...

Top  Profile