Can I install Windows 95 alongside WfW 3.11 and how?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
Thanatophobia

Can I install Windows 95 alongside WfW 3.11 and how?

Post by Thanatophobia »

I have Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on top of MS-DOS 6.22 installed on a VirtualBox, and I want to install Windows 95 (or the pre-released Chicago builds) on that virtual machine. I want to install Windows 95 on the virtual machine without deleting WfW 3.11, and I want to still access WfW 3.11 after installing Windows 95 so I can use both versions. But I don't know if upgrading to Windows 95 will erase WfW 3.11 and MS-DOS 6.22. Is there a way to upgrade the retail release of Windows 95 on my virtual machine and still keep WfW 3.11 and have access to both versions? If not, since I know Windows Chicago, the pre-release builds of Windows 95, can be installed along Windows 3.11 or WfW 3.11, what is the latest build of Chicago or pre-release Windows 95 that can be installed alongside WfW 3.11 without replacing it?

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: Can I install Windows 95 alongside WfW 3.11 and how?

Post by AlphaBeta »

Windows 95 won't replace existing DOS+Windows if you install it to a separate directory. The F8 menu then should let you boot into the old DOS version as one of the options.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

The DOS in Windows 95 is quite capable of running Windows 3.1 unmodified. There are a couple of things to note here.

Use a dos boot menu to select win95 or win31 or DOS. This is because the ifshlp in Win31 is different to the Win9x.

Create a directory like DOS\Command, and put your dos stuff into this structure. Point the Winbootdir to c:\dos, and the windir to '.' You should leave ifshlp in the windows directory, but the other stuff can be moved to c:\dos. The default boot is to create a path %winbootdir%;%winbootdir%\command.

To boot windows, use the commands `cd win31` then `win` or `cd win95` then `win`. Put these in your autoexec.bat after the appropriate ifshlp.sys is loaded.

Then you can have dos, windows, and win95 all in the same vm.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!