BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 13h, 39m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 2000MB of 4721MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: was chicago always truly 32-bit?        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
hey all,

just been reading up on windows 95 for the past few days, specifically its architecture and dos dependency. random question though, as of the leaked builds we have, was it always a hybrid 16-32 bit os or early on was it likewise to 3.1? and as such, was it still just a gui for dos?

thanks

Looking to contact me? Shoot me a PM on reddit (here).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: was chicago always truly 32-bit?        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win95 4.00.224
Chicago did Begun with Cougar for 32-bits, but with Windows NT 3.1 was a real 32-bit Windows because of NTFS. But the 32-Bit Kernel on DOS and Windows Chicago was really long unstable because double so many Letters in a Program. With Chicago 122 the 32-Bit Kernel was Beginn to be more stable.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: was chicago always truly 32-bit?        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Based on the info from anti-trust documents, it started out from Cougar - essentially Windows for Workgroups 3.1 (3.11 was in development at the same time as Chicago) running on top of DOS. I imagine once they got the kernel to 32-bits and integrated DOS into it, they moved onto the features. One such thing was the new 32-bit API, which was a special subset of NT's Win32 API called Win32c. Lots of apps remained 16-bit well into development, before they were ported to 32-bits.

The documents mention a small ISV release in March 1993 which still had the old shell. And we have footage of the usability testing builds from January 1993 with the new shell. In terms of leaked builds, 58s still has a 16-bit file cabinet (proto-Explorer) and some other apps, which were later ported to 32-bits.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: was chicago always truly 32-bit?        Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
Seeing as even Windows 3.1 eventually had Win32s, before Chicago was released, we know that some effort was being made in the user-space portion of DOS-based Windows for 32-bit functionality. I would assume (and thus make an ass of myself) that the Chicago kernel (VMM32) was always 32-bit -- Chicago (as well as 98 and ME) ran on top of a 32-bit virtual machine, which had a few similarities to NT's services/drivers architecture, without introducing the full NT kernel to DOS.

The entire project allowed Microsoft to extend DOS's feature-set for a couple more years, without incurring huge research and development costs, like those incurred on providing backward compatibility on NT5+.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: was chicago always truly 32-bit?        Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
InsertGoodNameHere wrote:
hey all,

just been reading up on windows 95 for the past few days, specifically its architecture and dos dependency. random question though, as of the leaked builds we have, was it always a hybrid 16-32 bit os or early on was it likewise to 3.1? and as such, was it still just a gui for dos?

thanks

The 32 bit kernel of Windows, the virtual machine manager (VMM), existed since Windows/386 (2.x). With successive versions of Windows, the VMM was enriched with numerous virtual device drivers implementing operating system services directly rather than passing them to the underlying DOS and BIOS. Even though marketing stated that Windows 95 was not based on DOS, this is as true (or as false) as saying that Windows for Workgroups 3.11 was not based on DOS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: was chicago always truly 32-bit?        Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:25 pm 

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 5.00.224 Beta
Windows 95 is hybrid between Win16 and Win32. That why Windows 95 is not 32 bit true Operation System like Windows NT. The Book name Undocumented Windows talk about Windows 95 virtual machine manager descended from Windows/386 2.01 in 1987.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: was chicago always truly 32-bit?        Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
xelloss wrote:
Even though marketing stated that Windows 95 was not based on DOS, this is as true (or as false) as saying that Windows for Workgroups 3.11 was not based on DOS.

as proven here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnew ... 0/?p=24063

interesting read. tl;dr dos worked as a boot loader and 16 bit compatibility layer; IFSMGR.SYS and the 32-bit file manager work to run 16-bit dos stuff in 32-bit mode

thanks for the replies guys

Looking to contact me? Shoot me a PM on reddit (here).

Top  Profile  WWW