BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 56d, 16h, 39m | CPU: 28% | MEM: 5732MB of 10917MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:14 pm 
FTP Access

THE VERGE wrote:
Microsoft is releasing the source code for its original Windows File Manager from nearly 28 years ago. Originally released for Windows 3.0, the File Manager was a replacement for managing files through MS-DOS, and allowed Windows users to copy, move, delete, and search for files. While it’s a relic from the past, you can still compile the source code Microsoft has released and run the app on Windows 10 today.

The source code is available on GitHub, and is maintained by Microsoft veteran Craig Wittenberg under the MIT license. Wittenberg copied the File Manager code from Windows NT 4 back in 2007, and has been maintaining it before open sourcing it recently. It’s a testament to the backward compatibility of Windows itself, especially that this was originally included in Windows more than 20 years ago. It’s as nostalgic as running Windows 95 on an Xbox One, Apple Watch, or Android smartwatch. If you’re a fan of original Windows File Manager you can download the app from GitHub and remind yourself of what computing used to look like years ago.
https://github.com/Microsoft/winfile/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
actually, winfile in windows 3.0 doesn't look like this.

BTW I created a fork restoring XP compatibility: https://github.com/roytam1/winfile/rele ... v10.0-2-xp

Last edited by roytam1 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Some features were added later in Windows 3.1 and Windows NT, but it's the same base app regardless.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:29 pm 
FTP Access

roytam1 wrote:
actually, winfile in windows 3.0 doesn't look like this.
Agreed. Many articles and bloggers are overlooking the fact that the source was pulled from NT4.

roytam1 wrote:
BTW I created a fork restoring XP compatibility: https://github.com/roytam1/winfile/releases/tag/XP
Nice. I'm looking forward to see how far people will take their forks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
Overdoze wrote:
Some features were added later in Windows 3.1 and Windows NT, but it's the same base app regardless.

the UI is quite different actually.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:14 pm 

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 5.00.224 Beta
Are it possible use file manger source code for Windows NT 4.0 put on Windows 2.0 SDK and Windows 3.0 SDK.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:00 pm 
Donator

johnlemon647 wrote:
Are it possible use file manger source code for Windows NT 4.0 put on Windows 2.0 SDK and Windows 3.0 SDK.

I'm sure it'd be possible to do some sort of port if one is determined enough.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:34 pm 

Favourite OS
WinNT 3.x, Win95, 3.00.14, Linux
As for the source code vanilla? You would have to backport Win32 to Win16, they are very different APIs with completely different implementations.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:35 pm 

Favourite OS
Unix-like ones
they should open source windows me

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
thesusthing wrote:
they should open source windows me

That would be like open-sourcing Windows 2000 or so. Even thought it's old, it still has some essential code that might be present since Windows 2000 until may be Windows 7 or 8

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:32 pm 

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 5.00.224 Beta
winnt32 wrote:
As for the source code vanilla? You would have to backport Win32 to Win16, they are very different APIs with completely different implementations.
yksoft1 use Windows NT 4.0 Source Code and ported Windows NT 4.0 Minesweeper Source Code to Windows 2.03 SDK to run on Windows 2.03 and Windows 1.01. It might be possible use file manger source code for Windows NT 4.0 put on Windows 2.0 SDK and Windows 3.0 SDK. It be Harder because Windows NT 4.00 Source Code need Win32 and Win32 is incompatible to Win16 from Windows 2.03 and Windows 3.00. There post be was an early beta/demo release of Winfile and Program Manager for Windows 2.x (supposedly downloadable from the Microsoft BBS, but copies don't seem to have survived). I working on to ported Windows NT 4.0 File Manger to Windows 2.03.

http://yksofthome.blogspot.com/2013/09/ ... nions.html

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Winfile is a bit more complex than Minesweeper, I'd say.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:27 pm 

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 5.00.224 Beta
At least one person is working on getting it going on older operating systems: So far still NT (3.51 and 4.0) though. But there hope He will create Win16 version. I email for Win16 version of WinFile he said he working on Win16 Version.
https://github.com/TransmissionZero/WinFile-Classic

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
None of the Winfile versions here support the sort of addon by FMView.

The two microsoft versions continue to keep their own right-click menu, while the winfile-plus does not support it at all.

Here are the versions used.

• winfile4.exe = NT4 winfile, modified by winfile reviver. 4.00.1386
  • wxpfile.exe = Microsoft version for XP. 6.10.7600
  • w10file.exe = Microsoft version for W10 10.0.
  • winfilep.exe = Fork of Windows 10 build.

None of the versions successfully run FMView under windows 7, although winfile4 did under win2k.

wxpfile and w10file, continue to show some separate menu, which means they are probably ignoring any search for add-in dll files. The other two evidently are looking for the menu, but it is being lost as a win98 file.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:16 pm 
FTP Access

I hope someday Microsoft open-sources the Program Manager, too...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:13 pm 

Favourite OS
netbsd
ibmpcat5170 wrote:
I hope someday Microsoft open-sources the Program Manager, too...

Given it has been deprecated long enough that most people don't even remember it, I don't see much reason for them not to.

..and I would absolutely love to see an updated version as an alternative to Explorer :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Or even viceversa, to update the program manager to look like Windows 95 or 98

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:37 am 

Favourite OS
netbsd
SistemaRayoXP wrote:
Or even viceversa, to update the program manager to look like Windows 95 or 98

If you are referring to using Explorer on NT 3.x, there is the New Shell Update, though I am not sure if it works with win32s on win 3.x.

There are also a few 3rd party mods for win 3.x.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:00 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
No. I am talking about doing similar to what the New Shell Technology did with NT 3, but in Windows 3.x, in other words, modyfing enough the Windows 3.x (16 Bit) Program Manager to be as near identycal to Windows 95 (At least) or even to Windows 98 (This would be better)

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:10 pm 

Favourite OS
netbsd
SistemaRayoXP wrote:
No. I am talking about doing similar to what the New Shell Technology did with NT 3, but in Windows 3.x, in other words, modyfing enough the Windows 3.x (16 Bit) Program Manager to be as near identycal to Windows 95 (At least) or even to Windows 98 (This would be better)

Have you tried Calmira?
http://toastytech.com/guis/cal.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MinWin
SistemaRayoXP wrote:

NewShell was more or less a port of the Chicago 2xx shell to NT.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Open-Sources NT4 File Manager        Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Progman still exists because programs still need it to run, and it is a source of general icons. That is, there are programs that need to see progman.exe in the task chain to know where they are. I recall having to create a shortcut for a game, by loading it as an argument to progman.exe. Some shells load progman.exe to get the shelldde to work. The old version of tcmd32 did just that to add to groups.

The ideal would be to redirect the progman calls through a separate dll, so you get an icon-field like control panel, rather than a lot of little boxes. Since progman is in fact a recompile of pmexec, it would even be nicer if you could have a nested groups, and icons in the top window. Progman was redesigned to show off the MDI (multi-documen interface). Compare this with PMexec, which allows you to have groups outside the window.

You can achieve the best effect by running progman.exe under calmaraNT in windows 3.51. Looks quite spiffy.

Top  Profile  WWW