BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 6h, 33m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 1966MB of 3761MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: PAE patch in 2K Professional?        Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:47 pm 
FTP Access

Earth (not telling you anything else about my location!)

Favourite OS
3.11, 98, 2000, XP, 7, Aero10
I can't seem to get more than 4GB of RAM detected on my HP Compaq Desktop, which has 7GB of RAM. I've tried the /pae flag, but it still shows 3.5GB. How can I get that patched?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PAE patch in 2K Professional?        Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.x
Do you have the correct version of ntoskrnl.exe installed? To use PAE, you will need ntkrnlpa.exe or ntkrpamp.exe installed on your computer. I don't think Windows 2000 Professional installs either by default, so you will have to copy them either from the CD or from C:\WINNT\Driver Cache\i386 if you already installed any sort of patches/service packs, and then either copy them over the existing ntoskrnl.exe or use the /kernel= boot.ini switch.

Note that you still won't be able to get more than 4 GB because Windows 2000 Professional is hardcoded to not detect any more memory than that. So it's not that useful. If you want more than 4 GB, you gotta switch to Enterprise Server (or hack the kernel, but I wouldn't know how to do that).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PAE patch in 2K Professional?        Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:30 am 
FTP Access

Earth (not telling you anything else about my location!)

Favourite OS
3.11, 98, 2000, XP, 7, Aero10
3155ffGd wrote:
Do you have the correct version of ntoskrnl.exe installed? To use PAE, you will need ntkrnlpa.exe or ntkrpamp.exe installed on your computer. I don't think Windows 2000 Professional installs either by default, so you will have to copy them either from the CD or from C:\WINNT\Driver Cache\i386 if you already installed any sort of patches/service packs, and then either copy them over the existing ntoskrnl.exe or use the /kernel= boot.ini switch.

Note that you still won't be able to get more than 4 GB because Windows 2000 Professional is hardcoded to not detect any more memory than that. So it's not that useful. If you want more than 4 GB, you gotta switch to Enterprise Server (or hack the kernel, but I wouldn't know how to do that).

Thanks for telling me that. I will hopefully be able to make Windows 2000 Advanced/Datacenter useful on one of my computers. Maybe I can install the 2K advanced/datacenter kernel or something. I still have an old disk of advanced server somewhere.

Top  Profile