PAE patch in 2K Professional?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
superlions16

PAE patch in 2K Professional?

Post by superlions16 »

I can't seem to get more than 4GB of RAM detected on my HP Compaq Desktop, which has 7GB of RAM. I've tried the /pae flag, but it still shows 3.5GB. How can I get that patched?
Nothing to post here.

3155ffGd

Re: PAE patch in 2K Professional?

Post by 3155ffGd »

Do you have the correct version of ntoskrnl.exe installed? To use PAE, you will need ntkrnlpa.exe or ntkrpamp.exe installed on your computer. I don't think Windows 2000 Professional installs either by default, so you will have to copy them either from the CD or from C:\WINNT\Driver Cache\i386 if you already installed any sort of patches/service packs, and then either copy them over the existing ntoskrnl.exe or use the /kernel= boot.ini switch.

Note that you still won't be able to get more than 4 GB because Windows 2000 Professional is hardcoded to not detect any more memory than that. So it's not that useful. If you want more than 4 GB, you gotta switch to Enterprise Server (or hack the kernel, but I wouldn't know how to do that).

superlions16

Re: PAE patch in 2K Professional?

Post by superlions16 »

3155ffGd wrote:Do you have the correct version of ntoskrnl.exe installed? To use PAE, you will need ntkrnlpa.exe or ntkrpamp.exe installed on your computer. I don't think Windows 2000 Professional installs either by default, so you will have to copy them either from the CD or from C:\WINNT\Driver Cache\i386 if you already installed any sort of patches/service packs, and then either copy them over the existing ntoskrnl.exe or use the /kernel= boot.ini switch.

Note that you still won't be able to get more than 4 GB because Windows 2000 Professional is hardcoded to not detect any more memory than that. So it's not that useful. If you want more than 4 GB, you gotta switch to Enterprise Server (or hack the kernel, but I wouldn't know how to do that).
Thanks for telling me that. I will hopefully be able to make Windows 2000 Advanced/Datacenter useful on one of my computers. Maybe I can install the 2K advanced/datacenter kernel or something. I still have an old disk of advanced server somewhere.
Nothing to post here.