Chicago Build 99

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
ATeamInc

Chicago Build 99

Post by ATeamInc »

I've just got the build 99 of chicago to boot reliabley, each time in PCem. I think everybody should know how difficult it is to install, but using an AMI 386SX Clone with an AMD 33Mhz CPU, a Trident video card and 9 megs of ram, it's possible.
However, I cannot get networking to work in the build as it cnnot aquire an IP on the Novell Netware Card. I'm new to PCem v13.1, so what is the IP config? (I've been only using PCem v12)
Anyway, I would like to add some important info to the wiki as soon as 1 month has passed (to get access) because this build has some important notes and the install way doesn't work (tried it in VPC and with the same above machine with an intel processor at ~33Mhz as well).
Offtopic Comment
For any who ask, I don't use 86box accept for 8088 machines as it uses over 500megs of ram and hogs my machine, which only has 2gegs and is extemely slow.
EDIT: Here's a screenshot:

TheCollector1988
Donator

Re: Chicago Build 99

Post by TheCollector1988 »

Networking is properly set up only on 86box.

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

Did work after all. Only used the ip 10.0.2.15 and gateway 10.0.2.2. No problems with that.

MacPlussed
Permanently Banned

Post by MacPlussed »

This Chicago version is working on Virtualbox and other x86 emulators. The BIOS Date not required to changed for install this Chicago. I have installed this Chicago on VirtualBox and it is running good.

Installation;
Installing from Windows 95 Boot Floppy
1. Prepare Disk with fdisk.exe, reboot, then format. format.com C:
2. Change to the CD-ROM and enter the RETAIL directory.
3. Run setup.exe
4. Accept the default settings then continue to the file copying process. You may also customize the features to be installed. If you are asked to set a computer name and workgroup name, do so.
5. When complete, reboot with the floppy still connected.
6. Run edit.com and press ALT+F+O. Browse to C:\config.sys
7. Change Files=30 and Buffers=30 to Files=90 and Buffers=90
8. Save changes (ALT+F+S) then exit (ALT+F+X)
9. Remove floppy and then boot to Windows.
Windows Chicago Build 58s running on my Virtualbox? (really?) = no.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- ATeamInc: For what it's worth, 86Box now uses the same amount of RAM as PCem, if not even slightly less, so you should give it a try again.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

Battler wrote:- ATeamInc: For what it's worth, 86Box now uses the same amount of RAM as PCem, if not even slightly less, so you should give it a try again.
In fact yes, and the recent builds are now way better optimized than older ones. I have tried 86box, it is full of features, however it does need quite a powerful processor to achieve full speed emulation. That was anyways a while back, and I have upgraded to 8gb so that is now not a problem.