Installing Windows NT 5.0 Server Beta 1 On Virtualbox

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
Mattdow
Permanently Banned

Installing Windows NT 5.0 Server Beta 1 On Virtualbox

Post by Mattdow »

Hello,i got a problem

in virtual box i can't install windows nt server 5.0 B1 because when i launch the machine
it's made the error.

caleb13

Re: Installing Windows NT 5.0 Server Beta 1 On Virtualbox

Post by caleb13 »

What kind of error that you got?

BF10

Post by BF10 »

In general, never use VirtualBox for anything before Windows 7, since many drivers required for a smooth experience will usually be missing. What build are you using as well?

It might be best to simply install from a floppy via winnt.exe. If that doesn't work then use PCem or 86Box.

BetaWiki contributor.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

BF10 wrote:In general, never use VirtualBox for anything before Windows 7, since many drivers required for a smooth experience will usually be missing.
That's absurd. It should be safe to use VirtualBox or VMware for Windows XP and newer.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Generally speaking, the more modern the OS, the less problems you should face when installing under hypervisors such VirtualBox or VMware. As AlphaBeta said, XP and newer should generally work fine and at least as far I remember, XP and Vista are still supported by various additions/tools that provide drivers for a better experience.

Earlier versions of NT as well as 9x tend to have some specific issues which often have to be worked around, in which case you'd be better off with an emulator. System requirements for these tend to be low enough too, and with a decent host computer you can emulate first generation Pentium chips just fine.

And when you get into pre-release territory, you're even more likely to hit issues on modern hardware.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks