How does one secure Windows XP?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
DobaMuffin

How does one secure Windows XP?

Post by DobaMuffin »

I am wanting to install windows XP on a pentium 4 computer I have at home, and I'm wondering how one would make it secure so that it doesn't get infected every time it accesses the internet. Is there a particular set of instructions related to this, or are there a bunch of security patches that aren't necessarily condoned by Microsoft, but do a better job then the last patches from Microsoft?

DanielOosterhuis
Donator

Re: How does one secure Windows XP?

Post by DanielOosterhuis »

Well, there is Windows POSReady 2009, a still supported flavour of XP. There are ways of forcing POSReady 2009 security updates on XP, so that's one way, but this is strictly not condoned by MS. It's done by editing registry keys to make Windows Update report the operating system as POSReady 2009. But do note that POSReady 2009's End of Life is January of next year. It is a better idea to see if you can update to a newer operating system, and upgrade your hardware if that's holding you back from doing so.
MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741, 70-742)
MTA: 98-349, 98-365

WATERMELONS10
Donator

Post by WATERMELONS10 »

Virtualizing it is probably the best way. Also, it is absolutely imperative that you install the latest updates. After that, disconnect the virtual machine from the internet. You should also uninstall any features and/or software on the computer that is not absolutely necessary for it to function to your needs. Although, disconnecting it from the internet should be enough.
Last edited by WATERMELONS10 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

I've been experimenting by using Windows XP for my main computer for a while now as and I haven't had any issues. The biggest problems are the lack of UAC and some documented vulnerabilities, but the vast majority of attacks nowdays are socially engineered and the latest version of windows isn't perfectly secure anyway. Unless you're running a server, you have a very low chance of being targeted. You should be ok with your machine connected to the internet.

Personally, Windows 10's permanent data collection, auto downloading of trialware like Minecraft, Candy Crush etc., ads plastered all over lock and start screens, poor software performance, and buggy, untested and bloated updates are way more of a headache. Windows 10 itself is basically spyware. 15 years ago, a constantly blinking HDD light would've meant you had a virus. With today's software, it's par for the course.

My advice to the OP is to use XP if they're adventurous and don't mind the slight potential of any headaches, otherwise to get a cheap license for Windows 7. It's still actively supported and developed for, and can be more responsive than XP at times thanks to advanced resource management.
Edit: grammar

JustZisGuy

Post by JustZisGuy »

1: Use a hardware firewall. Most DSL/Cable routers will do that. It doesn't matter how old or new your OS is, it is silly to hook a computer to the internet without one these days.
2: Try to find a current-ish browser. The major ones dropped support for XP, but some smaller project pick up the slack. I recommend this custom Pale Moon: https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my- ... on-for-xp/
3: Manage any plug-ins/extensions. No one uses flash any more, and opening PDFs should always be set to save to disk.
4: Always use an ad-blocker. That is how much malware gets out, through advertising networks.
5: Consider an anti-virus program, although most have also dropped support for XP and I don't have a good recommendation off hand. If you use a VM or dual boot you may be able to scan the XP partition from another OS.

DobaMuffin

Post by DobaMuffin »

Thank you everybody for the replies.
DanielOosterhuis wrote:Well, there is Windows POSReady 2009, a still supported flavour of XP. There are ways of forcing POSReady 2009 security updates on XP, so that's one way, but this is strictly not condoned by MS. It's done by editing registry keys to make Windows Update report the operating system as POSReady 2009. But do note that POSReady 2009's End of Life is January of next year. It is a better idea to see if you can update to a newer operating system, and upgrade your hardware if that's holding you back from doing so.

I may try this whole POSReady 2009 suff. I just want Windows XP to be the most secure when I'm connecting it to the internet. My main plans are to use the PC for gaming, and I have a few games that require to connect to the internet to activate and stuff like that. I have a more modern PC running Windows 7 for my daily use.
WATERMELONS10 wrote:Virtualizing it is probably the best way. Also, it is absolutely imperative that you install the latest updates. After that, disconnect the virtual machine from the internet. You should also uninstall any features and/or software on the computer that is not absolutely necessary for it to function to your needs. Although, disconnecting it from the internet should be enough.
I planned to disconnect the computer from the internet when I didn't need internet. I just want to be as secure as possible when I am connected to the internet as I don't want viruses sweeping through my computer causing me to have to reformat and restart all the time.
MrBurgerKing wrote:I've been experimenting by using Windows XP for my main computer for a while now as and I haven't had any issues. The biggest problems are the lack of UAC and some documented vulnerabilities, but the vast majority of attacks nowdays are socially engineered and the latest version of windows isn't perfectly secure anyway. Unless you're running a server, you have a very low chance of being targeted. You should be ok with your machine connected to the internet.

Personally, Windows 10's permanent data collection, auto downloading of trialware like Minecraft, Candy Crush etc., ads plastered all over lock and start screens, poor software performance, and buggy, untested and bloated updates are way more of a headache. Windows 10 itself is basically spyware. 15 years ago, a constantly blinking HDD light would've meant you had a virus. With today's software, it's par for the course.

My advice to the OP is to use XP if they're adventurous and don't mind the slight potential of any headaches, otherwise to get a cheap license for Windows 7. It's still actively supported and developed for, and can be more responsive than XP at times thanks to advanced resource management.
Edit: grammar
I don't plan on using XP as a daily use OS. I have Windows 7 on a PC for that. My main plan is to use Windows XP for gaming, and it's also more for that nostalgia feeling as I grew up using Windows XP. It's good to know though that I could also use it as a daily use PC if I wanted to.
JustZisGuy wrote:1: Use a hardware firewall. Most DSL/Cable routers will do that. It doesn't matter how old or new your OS is, it is silly to hook a computer to the internet without one these days.
2: Try to find a current-ish browser. The major ones dropped support for XP, but some smaller project pick up the slack. I recommend this custom Pale Moon: https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my- ... on-for-xp/
3: Manage any plug-ins/extensions. No one uses flash any more, and opening PDFs should always be set to save to disk.
4: Always use an ad-blocker. That is how much malware gets out, through advertising networks.
5: Consider an anti-virus program, although most have also dropped support for XP and I don't have a good recommendation off hand. If you use a VM or dual boot you may be able to scan the XP partition from another OS.
1. I'll have to see if my router can do that, though I'm pretty sure it can. I'm currently running OpenWRT on my router.
2. I'll look into that browser.
3. I'll have to see what I don't need and disable it.
4. If I get chrome installed, that will should be as easy as using uBlock Origin.
5. Last time I had installed XP, I used AVG Free as hey had a version that still supported XP, bu I had to upgrade to SP3 before being able to install it, and so I went several hours connected to the internet without an antivirus.

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

Use SRP and work on limited user. Guarantees protection from viruses.

ermgerd

Post by ermgerd »

while these are great suggestions for using windows XP securely, I would highly reccommend linux mint on there if you want a new OS which will probably run on a setup like that, it's very much like windows XP and it's personally one of my favourite OSes, but yeah the stuff everyone else is saying is great so do what you wanna do, just stay safe either way!

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Linux distributions can also work well, but OP wants XP to game and for the nostalgia factor. Linux compatibility with add-ons like wine can be a little dicy, especially for software that relies on XP's quirks.

2006bt

Post by 2006bt »

Good habits are the most important for XP. If you can, update your system to Vista. Vista can install most of the Server 2008 updates.

--I'm Chinese,So I use Google Translate.Please Excuse Me!

Code: Select all

using System;
namespace _2006bt
{
 class Program{
  static void Main(string[] args){
   Console.WriteLine("2006bt at BetaArchive!");
  }
 }
}

MGCJerry

Post by MGCJerry »

I know this is an older post, but don't forget to run around the services and turn off/disable a lot of the garbage. "Remote Registry", "Messenger" and depending on configuration and environment several others can be disabled too? Just like the old days when ram was low and usage was high. Definitely want to echo what 2006bt says, your brain is incredibly powerful, dont do anything stupid like run random dubious programs, or email attachments, etc.

DobaMuffin

Post by DobaMuffin »

Thanks for the additional advice. I try to not run random programs, and I don't even plan on having internet enabled when I'm running Windows XP. That should keep me relatively safe.

3155ffGd

Post by 3155ffGd »

MGCJerry wrote:I know this is an older post, but don't forget to run around the services and turn off/disable a lot of the garbage. "Remote Registry", "Messenger" and depending on configuration and environment several others can be disabled too?
Messenger is set to be disabled by default since (I think) Windows XP SP2 because there was some massive Messenger spam back when Windows XP was first released in 2001. If you were directly running on a cable modem with no hardware firewall in between (not an uncommon configuration back in the day) you'd get so many scam popups that tried to trick you into going to virus/worm websites. It was really bad.

A lot of the security risks Windows XP had were mitigated with the introduction of Windows Firewall in SP2. It is still a good idea to disable unneeded services, but it's not as crucial anymore.

TechGamer17

Post by TechGamer17 »

I dont think you should access Internet with it.
But there is a registry tweak to get support until 2019 (not that much time IMO).
hmm

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

Please note: No internet/flash drives == no virus

The main door for anything is the internet, the backdoor for anything else are the external drives (CDs, PenSticks, extenal HDs) which could be infected, so also be careful where do you plug an usb drive

nixie

Post by nixie »

Also verify the xp install cd is virus free along with any third party drivers. It can a challenge to authenticate an iso, especially if it has been modified or slip streamed, and non-oem drivers are equally difficult to validate.

Trust but Verify

edit:
Assuming the iso originated on BA, we are forced to assume whoever dumped it has an original physical copy, which cannot be proven aside from a few photos that could have been taken from elsewhere, let alone that it was never tampered with along the way.

Something that originated from another site altogether is even harder to prove as maniy have shoddy reputations to begin with.

It doesn't matter what the source is, any relaxation of dilligence is a risk.

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

nixie wrote:Also verify the xp install cd is virus free along with any third party drivers. It can a challenge to authenticate an iso, especially if it has been modified or slip streamed, and non-oem drivers are equally difficult to validate.
You can compute a checksum to verify the image hasn't been modified. You are right about 3rd party drivers though - XP is now 17 years old, and most manufacturers have scrubbed related support documentation, meaning external sources are sometimes the only option. Anyone looking for drivers should check the system integrator, part manufacturer, or windows update before using 3rd party.

nixie

Post by nixie »

MrBurgerKing wrote:
You can compute a checksum to verify the image hasn't been modified. You are right about 3rd party drivers though - XP is now 17 years old, and most manufacturers have scrubbed related support documentation, meaning external sources are sometimes the only option. Anyone looking for drivers should check the system integrator, part manufacturer, or windows update before using 3rd party.
My comment was moreso to point out that there are many attack vectors that are simply overlooked.

The only truly safe option is to assume *everything* is possible malware.

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

nixie wrote:
MrBurgerKing wrote:
My comment was moreso to point out that there are many attack vectors that are simply overlooked.

The only truly safe option is to assume *everything* is possible malware.
Don't you have an antivirus?
Offtopic Comment
Interesting "Malware" theory *hehe*

nixie

Post by nixie »

ATeamInc wrote: Don't you have an antivirus?
Offtopic Comment
Interesting "Malware" theory *hehe*
Offtopic Comment
You've never hosed a box through one very stupid mistake? :)