BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 13h, 50m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5833MB of 10858MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Which 4.01 version is this one?        Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
IBM DOS 4.01
I just bumped into this collection here: http://disks.oldos.net/OperatingSystems/ and was wondering which OEM MS-DOS 4.01 is that? MSDOS.SYS is from 1990 and i haven't found anything similar anywhere. SELECT.EXE is also different (and smaller) from the ones on other known english versions but installs exactly like the others. Maybe some expert here has an idea?
Thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Which 4.01 version is this one?        Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Unless you know what original media looked like or if there are any OEM-branded apps included with it, it's usually hard to tell. Especially with these later versions (4.x and later), when most hardware was PC-compatible and OEMs no longer did extensive modifications to the core OS (especially IO.SYS).

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Which 4.01 version is this one?        Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
IBM DOS 4.01
Overdoze wrote:
Unless you know what original media looked like or if there are any OEM-branded apps included with it, it's usually hard to tell. Especially with these later versions (4.x and later), when most hardware was PC-compatible and OEMs no longer did extensive modifications to the core OS (especially IO.SYS).

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I couldn't find any images of those diskette images at the site... Probably it's some obscure DTK OEM! (No idea, really!) :)

Top  Profile