Which 4.01 version is this one?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
DoutorHouse

Which 4.01 version is this one?

Post by DoutorHouse »

I just bumped into this collection here: http://disks.oldos.net/OperatingSystems/ and was wondering which OEM MS-DOS 4.01 is that? MSDOS.SYS is from 1990 and i haven't found anything similar anywhere. SELECT.EXE is also different (and smaller) from the ones on other known english versions but installs exactly like the others. Maybe some expert here has an idea?
Thanks!

Overdoze

Re: Which 4.01 version is this one?

Post by Overdoze »

Unless you know what original media looked like or if there are any OEM-branded apps included with it, it's usually hard to tell. Especially with these later versions (4.x and later), when most hardware was PC-compatible and OEMs no longer did extensive modifications to the core OS (especially IO.SYS).
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

DoutorHouse

Re: Which 4.01 version is this one?

Post by DoutorHouse »

Overdoze wrote:Unless you know what original media looked like or if there are any OEM-branded apps included with it, it's usually hard to tell. Especially with these later versions (4.x and later), when most hardware was PC-compatible and OEMs no longer did extensive modifications to the core OS (especially IO.SYS).
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I couldn't find any images of those diskette images at the site... Probably it's some obscure DTK OEM! (No idea, really!) :)