SecuROM dumping help

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
ReztaNZ

SecuROM dumping help

Post by ReztaNZ »

In a previous post I offered Hitman Blood Money with all original artwork and a MDF dump.

However I am having 3 issues.

1. When I select secuROM dump in Alcohol 120%, it says it fails to finish writing the image at 99%, the MDF file is complete but it fails to write a MDS file.
2. If I choose a standard DVD-ROM dump, it completes but then the game errors on start with "SecuROM error 1000, please use original disc, not a backup."
3. When trying to package all into a RAR file with 1% recovery, it causes winrar & 7zip to crash when trying open the RAR file.

Is there a better method for dumping a disc with secuROM protection intact and how do I solve the RAR issue?

[EDIT: BurnOUT has idenified the secuROM version to be 7.21.0012]

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: SecuROM dumping help

Post by mrpijey »

All this sounds more like an issue with your computer... neither WinRAR or 7zip should crash while opening an archive (which is completely unrelated to A120 or what the file contains). I've archived tons of Securom discs without any issues.

Alcohol120% also has a securom profile you can try, but if you use it be sure that DPM and subchannel data is enabled as well.

Try to dump it on a different computer, and use the version we got on the site with DPM enabled.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

ReztaNZ

Post by ReztaNZ »

Thanks for the reply, I'll give the BA version a shot. I think this all looks ok?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Looks good to me. It does say General Mode for the reading, that should change if you choose a different profile.

ReztaNZ

Post by ReztaNZ »

Seems the BA version of alcohol 120 worked. It correctly dumped the disc. Though the game executable still notices it is a backup after install but I'm sure people can do a quick google search for a no cd/dvd patch. Uploading now

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Did you dump it using the securom profile? Or the general one?

ReztaNZ

Post by ReztaNZ »

I selected the SecuROM option from the drop down menu. But seems to then proceed to read in general mode.

[Edit: Seems to be how it is done on the official website too: http://support.alcohol-soft.com/knowled ... tected+DVD ]

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Ah, OK. Well, A120% never claimed it could read out all the copy protections anyway. This is also why we keep the logs, since they say what parts are unreadable etc.