Integrating drivers into Windows Longhorn 3683+?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
The_Build_Tester

Integrating drivers into Windows Longhorn 3683+?

Post by The_Build_Tester »

So, recently awhile back I installed Windows Longhorn Build 3683 on a Compaq Presario F577CL laptop with and Nvidia GeForce Go 6100. The installation went successful and I was able to install the graphics driver for the video card and get the laptop's native resolution. I tried installing the sound driver for it and I kept getting this error about there being to audio device. I have installed Windows XP in the past and the sound and graphics worked just fine after installing the drivers and this audio device error happened one time when trying to install it on Windows 2000 on the same laptop. My only guess now is to figure out how to slipstream a Windows service pack like SP3 or integrate drivers by using something like nLite. I tried the first method with small success and kept giving me an error about Windows not being compatible with running SP3 or something like that. I tried using the Unofficial Windows XP SP4 exe after failing to slipsteam SP3. Unfortunately the same error popped up and a similar error when trying to update to SP2 on Build 3683. I tried going into Device Manager to see if Windows found a device that couldn't be installed without the proper drivers. I looked through the Device Manager and under, "Sound," the only thing that was visible was the audio codecs for Windows and non of them were driver upgradable. The last thing I can do before posting a new topic on BetaArchive, was to see if I could slipsteam the sound drivers on it. Now, the next question is that, will they work at all? The thing is, is that chances are when I reinstall Windows it will ignore the driver and not even use it. Has anyone successfully integrated drivers in ANY build of Longhorn? And no, I don't plan to use it as my main OS I only chosen this laptop because it's the only computer that can run most Windows Longhorn Builds without blue screening (since my other PC's are modern and are too new to even support Vista or lower, or flat out will blue screen thanks to Longhorn's incompatibility with most SATA hard drive which luckily this laptop which has SATA connector seems to work fine with most builds of Longhorn).

BF10

Re: Integrating drivers into Windows Longhorn 3683+?

Post by BF10 »

Not all drivers that are compatible with Windows XP are compatible with Longhorn since it uses a Server 2003 RC code-base, stopping support for a few drivers like SB16 and making it incompatible with many apps. If the driver installs via its own app, set its compatibility mode to Windows XP.

BetaWiki contributor.

The_Build_Tester

The thing is that no matter how the compatibility is set or whether it's set to Windows XP in compatibility mode, the same error appears.

beta.a.brian

Post by beta.a.brian »

Did you try to extract the drivers from the file and install them manually via Device Manager?
#8032forbrian came true

The_Build_Tester

I tried that but Device Manager didn't show any audio device what so ever only audio codecs. Tried looking through every device and kept trying them with my driver to see if they would work and so far, they failed to "find correct software," usually leaving me with an error message saying that no device was found. I do know that the sound from the laptop does work since I did manage to get sound working on every OS that the machine supported: Windows XP, Vista (default OS that came from factory), 7, 10, 10S. The only OS that never gave me sound that I know of is Windows 2000 and build 3683 and builds around the time closer to 3683.