Chess For System 1-7?

Discuss System 1 to System 7, OS 8, OS 9.
benadnam

Chess For System 1-7?

Post by benadnam »

I thought that the older Machintosh systems would have the classic chess, but some research on Google proved me wrong (although there is Battle Chess). Is there really no 2D classic chess for system 1-7 or i didn't made enough research?

TheDosProgrammer

Re: Chess For System 1-7?

Post by TheDosProgrammer »

Chess for Mac OS was introduced somewhere in the Mac OS X developer previews. There's no classic Mac OS chess unless you installed a 3rd party one.

BF10

Post by BF10 »

TheDosProgrammer wrote:Chess for Mac OS was introduced somewhere in the Mac OS X developer previews. There's no classic Mac OS chess unless you installed a 3rd party one.
Correct, I don't remember seeing Chess or a built-in game in original Mac OSes.

BetaWiki contributor.

fntkb

Post by fntkb »

Do you mean any chess at all? Or chess builtiin to the OS?

There was no chess built-in to the OS until one of the OS X versions (I believe it was included in the first public OS X release, but I can't remember 100%).

As for third party chess on the Mac in the old days, then yes there certainly was. I owned Sargon 3 on our original 128k machine, and then experimented with several of the freeware/shareware ones later on. (MacChess, Sigma Chess being two of the ones I remember, but there were others.)

Exemptus

Post by Exemptus »

Also Psion Chess (runs on a Mac 512K) and The Chessmaster 2000 (runs on a Plus) will happily work under OS 1-6. Both, along with Sargon III, came way before Battle Chess did.

tarquin44

Post by tarquin44 »

"Built in" chess was introduced way back in August 1997, in Rhapsody Developer Release 1 (Grail), brought over from NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP.
I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge,
every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with.

flowers

Post by flowers »

Hi there,

To my point of view "The Chessmaster 2000" is the one you are looking for ; it is a really well known version both in Classic Macintosh as in Windows in 1986... ^_^

Search for it an you will found a lot of informations,
Mik