BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 23h, 0m | CPU: 60% | MEM: 2550MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Minimum requirements for Longhorn        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler 2428 and Longhorn 3718
I want to ask what are the minimal requirements for the Longhorn builds in certain ranges? Even though it is already a bad idea, I am trying to see if at least one other pre-reset build will run on PCem, since I got build 3718 to successfully run on it without being unstable (although a bit slow due to emulator lag and with no sound). All I know is that the 3xxx builds have the same minimum requirements as Windows XP (233Mhz processor and 128MB RAM), build 4053 requires a 500Mhz processor and 256MB RAM, and the post-reset builds will just straight up not run (since it requires ACPI which PCem cannot support).

This is not about using PCem on this, it is just wanting to know the minimum requirements of the builds in general since searching it up provides nothing helpful except "use the Vista RTM specs".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minimum requirements for Longhorn        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
3.11 WfW, 98SE, 5.1.2464, LH4001
Use 86Box instead of PCem, downloadable here: http://ci.86box.net/job/86Box-Optimized/ , roms from here: http://tinyurl.com/rs20170915
This site has a lot of information about Longhorn req, but it's the recommended ones (just divide everything by 2 and it should be somewhere near minimal req) https://www.google.com/search?q=longhor ... s123nt.com

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minimum requirements for Longhorn        Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
MinWin
Running Longhorn on 86Box or PCem is a very bad idea, because you're not going to get it running alright on a 100 MHz Pentium and anything faster will not run at full speed and therefore will be even slower.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minimum requirements for Longhorn        Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
AlphaBeta wrote:
Running Longhorn on 86Box or PCem is a very bad idea, because you're not going to get it running alright on a 100 MHz Pentium and anything faster will not run at full speed and therefore will be even slower.

I do notice the major lag (a flaw that is also present in 2000, Me, and XP), but I just want to experience if Longhorn will work on it at least. I know that there is Microsoft Virtual PC and VMWare that does better in virtualization of Longhorn builds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minimum requirements for Longhorn        Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:11 pm 

Favourite OS
NT 5 & 6
vmware 5.5 is good for 3xxx range, even some in 4xxx like 4029
but you won't get all the nice things

6.x was 1st that supported 3D driver but is already heavier on system

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minimum requirements for Longhorn        Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Apparently build 4042 works and installs properly, but it is extremely slow and the S3 VIRGE drivers aren't working after the 2nd stage of setup (yes the taskbar is there but is hidden and will only show notification bubbles and the Start Menu. The sidebar is also missing). I also found that it also has a different "Safe to Shutdown" screen, so this screen is the last existing "Safe to Shutdown" screen.

So, in the end, I hit the deep end for PCem - 4042. I think higher is possible (Bob Pony got 4093 to get to the Preinstallation Environment but didn't manage to get past that), but 4093 is basically impossible unless you can leave the computer on for days. I'm now satisfied of the answer - it completely works on near-above-XP specs but in the end it will be slow. However, PCem still runs these builds pretty stable (I never had it crash on me besides myself terminating csrss.exe or winlogon.exe :P ), so it gets points for that. I am willing to see if anyone has managed to get anywhere higher than 4042 on PCem, but I highly doubt such thing will be an easy task.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minimum requirements for Longhorn        Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
As I said before: try 86Box.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minimum requirements for Longhorn        Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
oscareczek wrote:
As I said before: try 86Box.

Still, it wouldn't catch up with the speed of the Virutal Machine and could be slow as what AlphaBeta said.

Also, I managed to get the sidebar and taskbar to load, although Explorer kept crashing. Also PCem hardlocked once when I tried to log in.

ImageImageImageImageImage

The main lesson is once you hit Whistler for PCem, it will get slow, so Longhorn in the end will be a pain to install and run. Thus, you can run pre-reset Longhorn on an Windows XP PC with minimal stats, but don't expect it to last that long.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minimum requirements for Longhorn        Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
You don't understand. 86box is an improved version of PCem.

Top  Profile