Unicode changes and Korean NT 3.5 beta

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
yuhong

Unicode changes and Korean NT 3.5 beta

Post by yuhong »

I wonder what Unicode codepoints does the Korean NT 3.5 beta use.
In case you didn't know, it was in 1995 that they decided to move the Hangul codepoints in Unicode: http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicod ... /0191.html

louisw3

Re: Unicode changes and Korean NT 3.5 beta

Post by louisw3 »

And here I thought Unicode was pretty much set in stone. Although they keep adding emoticons to stay relevant to the kids.
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

3155ffGd

Post by 3155ffGd »

I wouldn't be surprised if Windows NT 3.5 beta was completely ANSI. NT 3.1 (US) was pretty much Unicode in name only; the whole interface was ANSI and just trying to install the builtin Russian keyboard layout was enough to completely screw you over because NT 3.1 translated all keypresses to "?", pretty much requiring a reinstall. The only "Unicode" part about NT 3.1 was the Lucida Sans Unicode font and even that was not installed on a default install; you had to grab it manually from the CD/floppies.

Though, surely they would have used Unicode for NTFS since that was Unicode from the very beginning. So the question still stands.

yuhong

Post by yuhong »

Even the Win32 API in NT 3.1 was Unicode, though things like Notepad were still ANSI.