Windows Longhorn 5048 BSOD SATA nightmare.

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
The_Build_Tester

Windows Longhorn 5048 BSOD SATA nightmare.

Post by The_Build_Tester »

Here's what happened, I tried to install Windows Longhorn Build 5048 on a PC (which is an M2A-VM) with a SATA hard drive. It does however, have another option which is either, RAID or AHCI mode. It's been set to IDE by default and Windows can boot on it set to IDE and I did test it but when I boot the Windows Longhorn 5048 disk it will BSOD with an error code of 0x0000007B. I looked it up finding out that it's because the hard drive is SATA and it should be set to IDE mode and then it will boot into Windows PE. The problem is that it is set to IDE. I read somewhere on the internet that you can integrate drivers into Windows Longhorn using nLite but since Windows Longhorn doesn't use the Windows XP installer to install Windows and uses Windows PE. Is there a way to get passed this?

whistler2250

Re: Windows Longhorn 5048 BSOD SATA nightmare.

Post by whistler2250 »

Just use the PantherXP MassStorageDxe scripts.
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!

The_Build_Tester

Post by The_Build_Tester »

To be honest with you, I have no idea what PantherXP or MassStorageDxe scripts are besides the fact that they are scripts and the fact that I have no idea how to use them.

kyle62

Post by kyle62 »

0x7B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

This may be caused due to the fact it is a beta and some driver support is broken in a certain build. Are you booting off of a burned DVD? If you are using USB, some of the PE drivers for AHCI, etc. may not work, resulting in a 0x7B BSOD. Has happened to me before on XP setup. Double check all of your BIOS settings for something similar to "SATA Operation". There is a chance you may have missed something. If none of this works, your best bet will be trying a different PC, or a virtual machine.