How to use FTP in DOS?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
SistemaRayoXP

How to use FTP in DOS?

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

I'm curious, how to connect to a FTP site in DOS, since i'ts possible in Windows 98, NT and 95, why it wouldn't be possible for Win3.1/DOS? Just I don't know where to start, anyone has a suggestion?

quailstorm

Re: How to use FTP in DOS?

Post by quailstorm »

I recently have been at a retro lover and he showed me running HX-DOS and FAR Manager with FTP. Told me that this is the only way he found for FTP. I did not fact checked this and do not plan to do it now, but this way surely works, I have seen it with my eyes.

(with HX-DOS you can run DOSBOX on DOS)

FAR Manager 1.70 1.75 and maybe later should work under Windows 3.11 if you have the Win32s installed.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

There are many FTP clients for DOS. Some of them use wattcp, others use packet drivers only, yet others use mTCP.
You just have to make sure to use the correct ftp client for the tcp driver stack you're using. I have successfully used both packet driver FTP clients and wattcp-based clients in the past. Only with basic FTP though, I guess most of these don't support ftps, so don't hold your breath trying to connect to BA ;-)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

dfawcus

Post by dfawcus »

SistemaRayoXP wrote:I'm curious, how to connect to a FTP site in DOS, since i'ts possible in Windows 98, NT and 95, why it wouldn't be possible for Win3.1/DOS? Just I don't know where to start, anyone has a suggestion?
When I used to do it from DOS, I either used KA9Q, or the FTP Software stack.

As to win3.1, would wfw 3.11 count? There was a (Microsoft) TCP stack for it, and various applications. I believe Mosaic had FTP support.

buricco

Post by buricco »

Yeah, MS' TCP stack had the BSD FTP tool compiled for Windows 3.11.

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

dfawcus wrote: As to win3.1, would wfw 3.11 count?
Of course! In fact, I'm using it, because it has better networking support.

3155ffGd

Post by 3155ffGd »

For WfW 3.11 you have a lot more options. If I'm not mistaken there is even an old 16-bit version of WS_FTP you can use.

XavierBennett

Post by XavierBennett »

3155ffGd wrote:For WfW 3.11 you have a lot more options. If I'm not mistaken there is even an old 16-bit version of WS_FTP you can use.
Indeed, there is WS_FTP LE 5.06 version available on OldVersion website which is 16 bit. FileZilla Portable 3.34.0 is also available on some websites which is a 16-bit freeware FTP program.

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

XavierBennett wrote:FileZilla Portable 3.34.0 is also available on some websites which is a 16-bit freeware FTP program.
IIRC, all Filezilla 3.x versions are 32 bit, and can't even run on Windows 98. And as far as I've teste, Filezilla droped XP support since 3.18 (+-) version, as Filezilla 3.34 won't install on XP, so if it doesn't runs on XP it doesn't runs on any OS below (2000, NT, 95 and WfW3.11). But I believe indeed there exists a 16 bit version of Filezilla, as I have a version that runs on Windows 95. So I wonder, does Filezilla exists for WfW or will any version run in WfW with Win32s?

Thierry

Post by Thierry »

SistemaRayoXP wrote:I'm curious, how to connect to a FTP site in DOS, since i'ts possible in Windows 98, NT and 95, why it wouldn't be possible for Win3.1/DOS? Just I don't know where to start, anyone has a suggestion?
Im use Windows 3.11 + Total commander for FTP Transfer ( still sold, but the shareware version is 100% functional ) and from DOS im use mTCP ( for a Server FTP and Client )