Project Overdrive [canceled]

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
leomoskva

Project Overdrive [canceled]

Post by leomoskva »

From https://www.unseen64.net/2017/10/24/pro ... cancelled/:
Project Overdrive is a cancelled first person open world game that was in development since 1999 by Russian studio Vistage, to be published by Buka Entertainment in late 2000 / early 2001, many months before the release of GTA 3. Overdrive was an ambitious project, with many features that are still missing from today’s open world games, such as explorable buildings with no loading times and destructible environments, vehicles and gibs.
The game is actually quite complex; supposedly it’s playable from the first mission to the end, vehicles have per-vertex deformation, a lot of elements within the environment are destructible, characters use inverse kinematics for some interesting results, cars have a limited amount of petrol and need to be filled up, there’s a trading system in the game, you can customize your character, there’s supposedly support for multiplayer, shadow mapping, a completely dynamic lighting system that supported day and night cycles, it appears there were also multiple locations such as an island, there are no loading screens as the game attempts to stream in content during gameplay and seems to feature fairly complex AI for the time.
Download link:https://www.old-games.ru/game/download/ ... 31&modal=1
Belive or not - i'm still alive. Like GlaDOS

Microsoft Windows Fan

Re: Project Overdrive [canceled]

Post by Microsoft Windows Fan »

Thanks! I downloaded the game... Im gonna play it, now! Its kinda looks like a Grand Theft Auto game but with worser graphics... But game still looks nice!

Microsoft Windows Fan

Microsoft Windows Fan wrote:Thanks! I downloaded the game... Im gonna play it, now! Its kinda looks like a Grand Theft Auto game but with worser graphics... But game still looks nice!
I played the game and I LOVE IT! Yes, its worser than GTA but its not bad. It have some better features than GTA. The only bad fact is graphics are bad, traffic is bad (its VERY FEW) and it have some glitches... Other these, its a nice game...

Gnome
Donator

Post by Gnome »

Please refrain from double posting in the future.

Microsoft Windows Fan

Gnome wrote:Please refrain from double posting in the future.
Oh, sorry. I forgot. I WONT do it anymore...

Mattisafish

Post by Mattisafish »

I Saw this game a few months back! its sad that they never released it :( wouldve been a good competitor to GTA at the time!!!

Microsoft Windows Fan

Mattisafish wrote:I Saw this game a few months back! its sad that they never released it :( wouldve been a good competitor to GTA at the time!!!
Yes, you are right actually! This game is nice... WHY THEY DONT RELEASE iT??!!!

leomoskva

Post by leomoskva »

Microsoft Windows Fan wrote:WHY THEY DONT RELEASE iT??!!!
Thats strange. because gta 3 first shown at E3 2001, at the may. Buka canceled game in january. Maybe, they seen press releases of gta3 before E3, or just thinked like game is uhm... not worth it.
Belive or not - i'm still alive. Like GlaDOS

kostya13k

Post by kostya13k »

Examining the leaked build, i found a way to turn back the lighting. The lighting was made using lightmaps. There also should be dynamic lighting, but it can't turned on due to the failing to find the file "dynamic_lightmaps.all". The island mission, mentioned in the 2000 FAQ of the game, can be entered using the final_mission cheat. The lighting doesn't work on that mission. dgVooDoo 2 gives the ability to see the "lens-flare effect". You can also set the time to night time and the street lamps will light up. The light, however, doesn't look that good.

Overall, the game can be fun sometimes, though it can crash sometimes