Partitioning Tools for pre-2000 Windows?

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
SistemaRayoXP

Partitioning Tools for pre-2000 Windows?

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

I know there is the most famous Partition Magic for Windows 95, 98 and Me, but I don't know anyone for Windows NT except for PärtitionMagic (The NT Version). And any partitioning tools for Windows 3.1/DOS? .So tell me, any partitioning tool for pre-2000 Windows OSes (Never mind if they're recent, just something to partition into this OSes)?

Update 23/10/2017:
I want to know about more tools, not only PQPartitionMagic, another program that isn't the Partitioning Tool that came with Windows or MS-DOS (I'm talking about something that isn't FDisk nor Partition Manager from Windows NT nor the one in the OS/2 install program), another thing from third-party but compatible with pre-2000 OSes
Last edited by SistemaRayoXP on Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

qazmko1029

Re: Partitioning Tools for pre-2000 WIndows?

Post by qazmko1029 »

fdisk works well. You can actually use other tools as they're probably more powerful but fdisk is built-in for dos and 9x builds. For nt just use the partition feature in installation.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

You usually use PartitionMagic from a bootable floppy or disc making the application OS support pointless. I used PQMagic from a floppy for years before switching to GParted. Those aren't for Win/DOS of course, but mostly you need a partition manager to change partitions. If you want to create them during install then you can use the ones that comes with the OS. Fdisk for DOS/Win and Diskpart for NT.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

Ok, but how do I use DiskPart in NT 4? I didn't found a way yet

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

I used to use partition magic for all my partitioning on some systems, pre-2000.

In essence, you create the assorted partitions, including the OS/2 bootmanager (PQ4 actually installed that for you too).

The other trick was to use OS/2 fdisk (from floppies), to create the partitions. OS/2 would then understand much of the stuff, and as long as hda1 was the DOS partition, than DR-DOS would not complain. You install the bootmgr into hda2, and hda3 would be the extended partition. Partitions below c1024 would be for the boot blocks, bit OS/2 could install itself over two partitions, so that minimised the amount below 504 MB.

But you normally use PQ Magic from removable media, or a fixed DOS partition.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

SistemaRayoXP wrote:Ok, but how do I use DiskPart in NT 4? I didn't found a way yet
With NT4 and previous you can't use DiskPart no.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

voidp

Post by voidp »

SistemaRayoXP wrote:Ok, but how do I use DiskPart in NT 4? I didn't found a way yet
Windows NT 4 has a utility called Disk Administrator in the Administrative Tools folder.

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

Sorry for my ignorance but I downloaded PartitionMagic 5 from the server and it said it was designed for Win9x OSes and it didn't let me install. Later I downloaded PartitionMagic 8 from "the internet" and it let me install without any problem in Windows NT 4. Is this because the copy in BetaArchive is just for 9x?

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

I want to know about more tools, not only PQPartitionMagic, another program that isn't the Partitioning Tool that came with Windows or MS-DOS, another thing from third-party but compatible with pre-2000 OSes. I repeated this up for who didn't read the post

Andreas

Re: Partitioning Tools for pre-2000 Windows?

Post by Andreas »

How about norton utilities ?

3155ffGd

Post by 3155ffGd »

I have an old version of Paragon Partition Manager on a bootable floppy that I downloaded from some other website. Someone suggested it for creating HPFS partitions for OS/2 or old NT use.

BetaNewbie

Post by BetaNewbie »

I have used DiskMan (don't be confused with Disk Manager) for years, this is a disk partitioning/data recovery program from China (and it was all in Chinese back then).

In 2007, DiskMan is rebranded to DiskGenius and moved from DOS to Windows, with an English version named PartitionGuru.

JammieDodger

Post by JammieDodger »

I use System Commander (around the SC v4.01 or SC Deluxe v4.30 from memory) for those jobs. You install it on a floppy and then boot off the floppy, it then allows you to create and manage all kinds of partitions including FAT32 and NTFS.

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

voidp wrote:
Windows NT 4 has a utility called Disk Administrator in the Administrative Tools folder.

That's not a screenshot of Disk Administrator from Windows NT 4.0, its a screenshot Disk Management from Windows 2000.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

There is a proggie on Win31 nt called 'windisk'. The 3.51 one is the way to go here.

I've used OS/2 boot disks, which allow you to create multiple primary partitions, a boot manager, and an extended partition. v2.11 is the last version before LVM came in.

But most folk then either used fdisk or even prehaps gdisk (Norton Ghost).

Hyoenmadan86

Post by Hyoenmadan86 »

SistemaRayoXP wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:12 pm
I know there is the most famous Partition Magic for Windows 95, 98 and Me, but I don't know anyone for Windows NT except for PärtitionMagic (The NT Version). And any partitioning tools for Windows 3.1/DOS?
Sure there were a lot of partitioning & formatting tools back then, both freeware, commercial and shareware... But nothing really beats PowerQuest tools in simplicity and stability. Them have very good understanding on hardware quirks too, like Large Mode, the novelty in that time LBA addressing, various special hardware/software geometry translators as Ontrack/EZDrive, and them understand loonix Ext FS partition ID and Netware Volumes since their first inceptions. Is a very good suite of disk management tools.

And ofc there were versions which could be installed from Win3x/DOS and even OS/2, but you need very old versions. In the range of 2.x and 3.x.

Kahdragz

Post by Kahdragz »

mrpijey wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:39 am
You usually use PartitionMagic from a bootable floppy or disc making the application OS support pointless.
My go-to is also a bootable CD from Partition Magic 8. I've used it for years and still continue to use it to this day (on retro hardware). It has a very simple and extremely proficient GUI that seems to work with just about everything I throw at it.

I bought it retail back in the day and it has served me well.