Windows ME Build 2332 msmouse.vxd

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
SupernovaNick

Windows ME Build 2332 msmouse.vxd

Post by SupernovaNick »

I am trying to install Windows Codename Millennium Developer Release Build 2332 in Virtual PC 2007. The installation works fine until the first boot after copying files is done. It gives me an error about msmouse.vxd. I tried editing system.ini to change the line msmouse=*vmouse, msmouse.vxd to msmouse=*vmmouse but it then simply hangs at boot.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have a fix?

Thanks

WindowsLonghornFan

Re: Windows ME Build 2332 msmouse.vxd

Post by WindowsLonghornFan »

Msmouse sounds like your mouse for your computer is invalid. You might need a new mouse. Maybe. Im most likely wrong.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

WindowsLonghornFan wrote:Msmouse sounds like your mouse for your computer is invalid. You might need a new mouse. Maybe. Im most likely wrong.
Why post obviously wrong advice in the first place then? There is simply no way getting a new physical mouse could possibly fix his problem.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

WindowsLonghornFan

I think I solved it. Your ati video driver was freezing the system. You need to install a new version of the driver and it should work. Found the solution here http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread ... smouse-vxd

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

WindowsLonghornFan wrote:I think I solved it. Your ati video driver was freezing the system. You need to install a new version of the driver and it should work. Found the solution here http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread ... smouse-vxd
He's installing it in Virtual PC 2007, which emulates an S3 card, but he could give a try of booting into safe mode and uninstalling the S3 driver.
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

Thanks for the help. I will try that out
PS. What about installing virtual machine additions? It installs another s3 driver, so I'm not sure if it will still work. (BTW VM additions works in Windows Millennium Edition betas)

WindowsLonghornFan

Ok. Tell me how it goes.

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

I cannot boot into safe mode because this happens during the installation after the first reboot before drivers have been set up. It boots to the OS and gives me an error that it can't install drivers in safe mode and then hangs after I close the error. I even tried removing the line mouse.drv=mouse.drv from system.ini but that didn't work either...

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

Fixed it...
I needed to upgrade from Windows 98. Why didn't I think of that before...?

Thanks for the help anyway :)

BF10

Post by BF10 »

A lot of issues relating to installation (especially with Windows ME, Windows XP, and Windows Longhorn) can be fixed by upgrading from a previous build that works.

Even then, PCem or 86Box is probably a great option to install Windows 9x builds since it emulates real hardware, which makes Windows 9x pretty stable as a result.

BetaWiki contributor.