Sounds in Windows 2000 Build 1946

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
SupernovaNick

Sounds in Windows 2000 Build 1946

Post by SupernovaNick »

I am trying to install Windows 2000 Beta 3 Build 1946 in Virtual PC 2007. So far, it installs successfully, but the startup and shutdown sounds do not play when the virtual machine boots up and shuts down. The sound driver does work and I can preview the sounds in Sounds and Multimedia from the control panel and when adjusting the volume, but it looks like some other sounds do not play when they should.

Does anyone have a fix for this? because various people on YouTube who have videos showcasing the OS running in Virtual PC 2007 have the sounds working correctly.

Thanks

johnleakedfan

Re: Sounds in Windows 2000 Build 1946

Post by johnleakedfan »

Were the sound settings for those already added & applied?

Like, Windows Startup/Logon has the Startup sound added, or, the Shutdown/Logoff sound has the shutdown sound added.

EDIT: I never had an issue with the sounds not working, even after a fresh install. So, this is interesting.
Last edited by johnleakedfan on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Try reapplying the default sound scheme.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

imback

Post by imback »

Maybe if you replace it with the Sound blaster 1.x pro 16 Or compatible driver in device manager?

BilinSun

Post by BilinSun »

Sometimes you may have accidentally turned off sound in the host PC and find it impossible to make the guest play any music.Well I myself have done so.XD
Seriously speaking,some Win2K builds don't seem to curtain any suitable drivers for Sound Blaster Sound Cards,so they can make sound in neither VMware nor VPC.You can try to install a driver manually to replace the driver installed automatically by the OS.
Last edited by BilinSun on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, I helped you to correct your mistake, you should give me return. XD

Windows Thunderstruck

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

I think the sounds are sometimes turned off by default in that build.

Microsoft Windows Fan

Post by Microsoft Windows Fan »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:I think the sounds are sometimes turned off by default in that build.
No, its not.I was installed this build to Virtualbox and all sounds was fine.I think this person cant get startup/shutdown sounds because they are turned off from Control Panel\Sounds\Sound Schemes or drivers dont work fine.

Microsoft Windows Fan

Post by Microsoft Windows Fan »

SupernovaNick wrote:I am trying to install Windows 2000 Beta 3 Build 1946 in Virtual PC 2007. So far, it installs successfully, but the startup and shutdown sounds do not play when the virtual machine boots up and shuts down. The sound driver does work and I can preview the sounds in Sounds and Multimedia from the control panel and when adjusting the volume, but it looks like some other sounds do not play when they should.

Does anyone have a fix for this? because various people on YouTube who have videos showcasing the OS running in Virtual PC 2007 have the sounds working correctly.

Thanks
Check the sound schemes from Control Panel\Sounds and be sure sound scheme is "Windows Default".If the sound scheme is "Windows Default" but it still dont works, try to install this build to Virtualbox.

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

No the sound scheme has nothing to do with it. It must be a problem with the driver because the sounds only play when I preview them in the control panel, but they do not play where they should.

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

Also, I just found out that the startup and shutdown sounds sometimes do play but do not after a restart, and sometimes do not play at all at another boot. Windows Codename Whistler Build 2419 does this too.

It is not fixed if I take ctlsb16.sys from driver.cab in a Windows 2000 RTM CD and put it into C:\WINNT\system32\drivers either.