BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 17h, 2m | CPU: 49% | MEM: 2442MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Portable User Profile referenced November 2004—after reset        Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
"Longhorn" / Vista
According to a set of PowerPoint slides from November 4, 2004 Arvindra Sehmi, of Microsoft's Architect Developer & Platform Group indicated that the Portable User Profile (PUP) feature of "Longhorn" designed to synchronize user profiles with portable devices was intended after the development reset of the product.

In comments of slide 4 titled "Improving Productivity", which listed the intended features for Windows Vista (e.g., AutoLists, Lists), Sehmi wrote:
Quote:
Portable User Profile – ability to store PUP on removable media and roam between machines (e.g. USB fob)

I understand that the link to the PowerPoint presentation is not of Microsoft's domain, but the metadata properties of the file themselves—in addition to the included information included therein—strongly indicate that the file is indeed authentic:

EDIT: Link updated.

Last edited by Maza on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Portable User Profile referenced November 2004—after res        Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:05 pm 

Favourite OS
Longhorn
Do you have the full Powerpoint file?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Portable User Profile referenced November 2004—after res        Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MinWin
SAIYAN48 wrote:

You need to visit the site without adblock, click "Download presentation" and apparently clicking any social media button without actually sharing anything is enough for the Download button to get activated.

I would advise the OP not to use shady websites like slideplayer in the future and reupload files from such sites to cloud storage services that don't flood the screen with fake download buttons and don't require sharing before downloading.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Portable User Profile referenced November 2004—after res        Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
"Longhorn" / Vista
AlphaBeta wrote:
SAIYAN48 wrote:

You need to visit the site without adblock, click "Download presentation" and apparently clicking any social media button without actually sharing anything is enough for the Download button to get activated.

I would advise the OP not to use shady websites like slideplayer in the future and reupload files from such sites to cloud storage services that don't flood the screen with fake download buttons and don't require sharing before downloading.

I apologize. I had forgotten about SlidePlayer's advertisements and other potential issues. The link has been updated.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Portable User Profile referenced November 2004—after res        Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Missing operating system
Why is there a file expiration date on the current link?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Portable User Profile referenced November 2004—after res        Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
"Longhorn" / Vista
Khangaroo wrote:
Why is there a file expiration date on the current link?

It is because the service provider requires users to pay a fee to host content for an unlimited duration. I have updated the link again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Portable User Profile referenced November 2004—after res        Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:45 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Interesting.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Portable User Profile referenced November 2004—after res        Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:47 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn/Vista 5112
The PowerPoint links to an interesting page describing the to-be Longhorn API:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040130011 ... rosoft.com

And some XAML examples from the time:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040130011 ... rosoft.com

Top  Profile