Windows Vista 5212: Speech Recognition Vocabulary Manager

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Maza

Windows Vista 5212: Speech Recognition Vocabulary Manager

Post by Maza »

I used Windows Speech Recognition in Windows Vista build 5212 a while back to determine whether it possessed features that unfortunately would not make it to Windows Vista RTM—the Microsoft Speech Center and its related commands is such—or if it possessed features that would eventually be in RTM (e.g., the "Show Numbers" command, much like the "Mousegrid" command of build 4074). Windows Vista 5212 does include the Speech Dictionary (or User Lexicon) present in RTM, although it is known by its preliminary Vocabulary Manager name.

The vocabulary manager allows users to add unrecognized words to the speech dictionary for dictation or transcription purposes. Note that Cortana in Windows 10 does not offer identical functionality.

The alternates panel in the screenshot above illustrates what occurs before starting the vocabulary manager. Here the user is correcting a misrecognized set of words.

ImageImage

The above images illustrate the process of correcting a word(s) after speaking the "I'll spell it myself" command as shown in the first screenshot. Here, "is the" is in the process of being replaced with "Vista."

The word "Vista" was unknown to the recognizer; therefore, a prompt to add the word to the vocabulary manager appears. Note that although it might seem unsensible for us to see that the word is not recognized, one should bear in mind that the build is pre-release software. Later during development, Microsoft's Rob Chambers stated that the vocabulary manager included over 100,000 words in the English language.

ImageImage

Clicking or speaking "Next" on the previous prompt presents the option to specify whether the unrecognized word is sometimes capitalized (i.e., nouns or verbs) or always capitalized (i.e., proper nouns such as names). In this case, since the word refers to vistas, as well as the Vista operating system, it is only sometimes capitalized.

ImageImage

The usual end of the process for adding a word to the vocabulary manager. Note the option to record a pronunciation for the word once it is added which, as the prompt states, is useful for foreign words, acronyms, names of places or people, or words without an obvious pronunciation.

ImageImage

Clicking or speaking "Record a pronunciation" and "Next" displays an Aero Wizard dedicated to recording a pronunciation. Clicking or speaking "Record" immediately begins the recording process.

ImageImage

Once the recording process is complete, users have options to either listen to the current recording to ensure that it is satisfactory or to produce a new recording. Finally, when the word is added to the dictionary, users can return to the vocabulary manager—if memory serves, the link is broken in this build—or click or speak "Finish" to return to the previous application.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle