Replacement for Toshiba revocery/OS disc?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Cire

Replacement for Toshiba revocery/OS disc?

Post by Cire »

Hoping someone can send me in the right direction here; I recently bought a used Toshiba Satellite A200 computer and it came without and recovery discs. Seller had also removed Windows from HDD. The Windows Vista sticker with Product Key is left intact on the back of the computer though, and so is the Toshiba serial sticker. Tried contacting Toshiba costumer support, they answer that they don't distribute recovery-cd's anymore and that my only possibility was contacting InfoCare workshop which would be able to solve my problem, which I did, only to get the answer back that they're only dealing with hardware, not software at all and suggested I buy a new Windows license. Also tried submitting a message at Microsoft's support site's messagebox, didn't get any answer back. Was unable to find any e-mail adress I could mail Microsoft either. They have a phone number, not sure if it's Worth making a call to them? Don't know if they send out Vista replacement discs anymore.

dsdude123

Re: Replacement for Toshiba revocery/OS disc?

Post by dsdude123 »

Darn so close! The closest recovery disc we ever had was a Toshiba A100 and that most likely would not work. There's also another Toshiba recovery disc from a year later for Vista Home Premium but I do not know what model it is for. Calling Microsoft likely won't get you anywhere, they probably will tell you to get Windows 10 :P. Your best shot is to get one of those unofficial recovery discs on Amazon. That should allow you to reinstall Vista using the key on your laptop. I've linked an Amazon link below that should work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Re-Insta ... 01633BSCG/

EDIT: Alternatively, someone could also send you an ISO and you could burn it to a disc yourself.

DarkenMoon
Donator

Post by DarkenMoon »

There previously was a way you could make your own Windows Vista ISO from files found on Microsoft's servers. However, those links are now dead.

I would PM you a copy of the ISO image(s), but I don't think that is allowed on here.

Cire

Post by Cire »

Thanks for trying to help! :)
I tried to follow the Amazon link there, though unfortunatly it seems that the item does not ship to Sweden. :(
Thanks anyway

caff

Post by caff »

As everyone else said, try to find a loose Vista disk (hopefully one that matches the version on the serial # label, or you'll have to make a copy of it with a file modified to set it to the specific version) or see if you can get an ISO, then burning that on DVD or to make a install USB stick.

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

just install Vista using a standard Windows disc\iso file.. https://webforpc.com/software/operating ... it-64-bit/
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*

Cire

Post by Cire »

Writing this reply from the A200 :) Downloaded both the A100 recovery and Toshiba Vista Recovery and mounted the ISO's and put the files on a USB stick, since I'm out of DVDR's. They seemed rather picky about that though. Did even get the later to boot, only to be greeted by a cmd windows that tried to search the ODD ^^.
In the end, betaluva's link worked out well for me after downloading all drivers from Toshiba's website. In progress of installing all updates as of now. Thanks for the help! :)