Is it possible to enable APM after installation of wfw 3.11?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
MichaelWeaser

Is it possible to enable APM after installation of wfw 3.11?

Post by MichaelWeaser »

I have posted on here saying I can't install windows for workgroups windows 3.11 with APM enabled, since the the installer will Freeze when I have APM selected in the installer. Is it possibly to manually enable APM in windows for workgroups 3.11 in the system.ini file? When you want to enable APM the installer would install / enable 2 drivers in the system.ini file. I believe one was called Power.drv or something like that? So what I am asking is can I enable the files after the installation, since the installer freezes If I attempt to enable APM in the installer?

whistler2250

Re: Is it possible to enable APM after installation of wfw 3

Post by whistler2250 »

You can't. As you yourself have already explained, the implementation of APM in the Cyrix MediaGxm processor is NOT compatible with Intel's implementation. Also, why do you keep asking about APM? It's getting quite annoying, especially since you don't need APM to install wfw 3.11. (Not trying to do rude or anything). Finally, installing low-level drivers AFTER installation isn't really a good idea, especially if you already know they don't work during installation. But if you want to try it, go ahead, no one's stopping you. Just don't expect it to magically start working.
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!

MichaelWeaser

Post by MichaelWeaser »

whistler2250 wrote:You can't. As you yourself have already explained, the implementation of APM in the Cyrix MediaGxm processor is NOT compatible with Intel's implementation. Also, why do you keep asking about APM? It's getting quite annoying, especially since you don't need APM to install wfw 3.11. (Not trying to do rude or anything). Finally, installing low-level drivers AFTER installation isn't really a good idea, especially if you already know they don't work during installation. But if you want to try it, go ahead, no one's stopping you. Just don't expect it to magically start working.
I am not sure if it is compatible not with Intels implementation I think it is , I think It is compatible since I think I found documents for a different computer with the same processor saying APM does work with windows 3.1, But it doesn't say if it needs a different driver or not , The laptop might just need need Bios update , Which I can't find a updated bios for it. Also there could be a bug in the windows 3.1 installer that is causing the issue as well with Cyrix processors. There are many reasons why I want APM it work, I want power management since it is a laptop, plus also I want to get a battery meter program for it, Which I know only works if APM is enabled.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

There are many dos-based power utilities that do the trick of power management, and they DON'T require APM. Some even include a battery meter, but look them up. I'll try to find a good one if you can't find it.

MichaelWeaser

Post by MichaelWeaser »

whistler2250 wrote:There are many dos-based power utilities that do the trick of power management, and they DON'T require APM. Some even include a battery meter, but look them up. I'll try to find a good one if you can't find it.
One more thing I am going to try , is this : http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/2cda.htm I totally went over enabling power.exe in DOS. I am going to go with this and see what happens.

Update: I did this, and APM enabled without crashing the installer, and wfw 3.11 does load without crashing , But is there away to test if APM is working in wfw 3.11?

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

So I guess we can conclude that APM REQUIRES that a DOS power management utility be installed in order to work.

MichaelWeaser

Post by MichaelWeaser »

whistler2250 wrote:So I guess we can conclude that APM REQUIRES that a DOS power management utility be installed in order to work.
Well the issue with this, I have enabled APM in windows 3.1 , without power.exe in DOS, in other computers. Have a way to test if APM is indeed working?