Installing and Updating Windows XP in 2017, help?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Storm

Installing and Updating Windows XP in 2017, help?

Post by Storm »

Hello.

I want to properly install and update Windows XP Professional SP3 on a virtual machine.

I tried two VM Software:

1. Virtualbox - Installs fast and audio doesn't static
2. VMWare Workstation - Installs and runs the VM slowly and audio has static, such as the Windows XP Login sound.

I decided to use Virtualbox for this until I could find a solution.

I first turned on auto updates and let the VM download the one update.
Then I rebooted and let it download the 120 or so remaining updates.
After that, I launched IE8 and visited the Windows update site and try to do a custom install.
Somewhere along the line, I'm prompted to install the Windows Genuine Advantage update.

After doing all of that and installing the DirectX modules, it prompted me with and when it wants me to verify my copy of Windows. After doing that, it redirects me to either an improperly loaded web page with just some images and formatting (likely unable to load the css) or loads the entire thing but fails to verify.

I sometimes also get this blank web page.
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downlo ... layLang=en

I downloaded WSUS offline and grabbed all of the English windows updates and ran it on the VM, but it didn't resolve this issue. I tried changing my DNS in the VM to 8.8.8.8 and reset IE8's settings and allowed all cookies, didn't work. When I ran a connections test, it was able to connect to HTTP, but not HTTPS or FTP.

Any recommendations? I know an entire process for using Windows 2000 today exists, but what about Windows XP? Is there a way to get around genuine advantage or something?

Storm

Re: Installing and Updating Windows XP in 2017, help?

Post by Storm »

Looks like no one has any advice to give. :(

Going to try Extended XP to see if that helps.

Dibya

Post by Dibya »

Storm wrote:Looks like no one has any advice to give. :(

Install this one https://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10321
Then install all updates from windows updates

Storm

Post by Storm »

Dibya wrote:
Storm wrote:Looks like no one has any advice to give. :(

Install this one https://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10321
Then install all updates from windows updates
Thanks! Will give this a try. :)

sdfox7
Donator

Post by sdfox7 »

By default Internet Explorer 8 is set for SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0. SSL 3.0 will fail because websites began dropping support for it after the POODLE vulnerability. You won't even be able to access https://www.google.com with it enable.

Did you try switching the checkbox from SSL 3.0 to SSL 2.0? SSL 2.0 still works and is not affected by the POODLE vulnerability.

ThinkPad 600E, T23, T41, T61p. ASUS X555 A12 Quad Core 16GB RAM Win10/Win7
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

sdfox7 wrote:Did you try switching the checkbox from SSL 3.0 to SSL 2.0?
SSL2 is obsolete and has many other vulnerabilities.
Just disable all versions of SSL and leave one TSL, this should be enough for most sites to work.

Apex

Post by Apex »

The choppy audio in VMware has to do with the way that VMware virtualizes timer interrupts. Since the interrupts don't arrive regularly, the guest can't keep up and the result is stuttering. Certain programs like Windows Media Player raise the timer resolution, which eliminates the stuttering. So you can either leave WMP open, or install some other program to raise the timer resolution for you (disclaimer: use at your own risk). Do note that raising the timer resolution like this also has some minor drawbacks, like making the guest take up more CPU time.

IceFairyAmy

Post by IceFairyAmy »

I noticed the aforementioned issue with the sound doesn't happen on Windows 7 in 12.5.7 from what I can tell, but happens in Windows 8 and above.

As for updating, the Windows Update website is practically useless since it hasn't properly been updated since XP SP2. Not sure if just forcing wuauclt to run would work or not, though, with SP3.

Storm

Post by Storm »

I just noticed that I got quite a few replies. Was (and still) busy with life and stuff, so I'll have to reinstall the VM again once I decide on a VM software. Will take your suggestions into account. Thank you.

IceFairyAmy

Post by IceFairyAmy »

If you've got Windows 7 you could try Windows Virtual PC which supports XP Pro SP3, although VPC 2007 is older it supports many more OSes...

quailstorm

Post by quailstorm »

Windows XP's Windows Update can be really slow now. We should make an integrated version with POSReady updates... I only have a 2014. April integrated version, which is ton of work away from being up to date.

If you don't want to use IE8 for Windows Update, you can use WUMT: https://wumt.blogspot.hu/2016/11/window ... itool.html.