Teens react to Windows 95

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
Twiggy

Teens react to Windows 95

Post by Twiggy »

This is one of the few computer related videos REACT has done.

In this video I am made to feel old as hell because I was born in 1995 an one of the teen's said Windows 95 was "Ancient". I wonder what that makes people like my 57 year old father, and 83 year old grand father...

The reaction of these kids to what I would consider the first "modern" version of Windows is interesting. If these kids have been around back then, they'd know that the same basic way of using Windows has persisted since then, and Windows 8 was poorly received because it tried to change that, and people didn't like it.

"You go love your enemies, don't go loving mine. My enemies are the theocratic fascists, I don't love them, I want to destroy them!" - Christopher Hitchens (1949-2011)

ReztaNZ

Re: Teens react to Windows 95

Post by ReztaNZ »

I did enjoy this video. In a way it's sad that the younger ones won't experience something so revolutionary. Would love to see how they would react to a buggy longhorn build or plain MSDOS

TuneableSumo876

Post by TuneableSumo876 »

I consider the beginning of "modern" windows to be XP, partially because I used it a lot as a small child (to play computer games, of course). I'm very fond of its startup sound as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy »

TuneableSumo876 wrote:I consider the beginning of "modern" windows to be XP, partially because I used it a lot as a small child (to play computer games, of course). I'm very fond of its startup sound as a result.

There's no mistaking the Windows XP startup sound.
"You go love your enemies, don't go loving mine. My enemies are the theocratic fascists, I don't love them, I want to destroy them!" - Christopher Hitchens (1949-2011)

windowsawesome

Post by windowsawesome »

To be honest i really Don't like The REACT Channel they need to do more OS videos.

Procta

Post by Procta »

my sister who is 15 saw windows 3.51, she asked where do you access USB pens. I said USB? it was all floppy disks cd droms were just say coming into play.

IceFairyAmy

Post by IceFairyAmy »

TuneableSumo876 wrote:I consider the beginning of "modern" windows to be XP, partially because I used it a lot as a small child (to play computer games, of course). I'm very fond of its startup sound as a result.

Windows XP was what I grew up with and I was born in 2001. It was the start of the NT kernel being aimed at both the home and business environment, so it should really be considered as such, I agree.

TheDosProgrammer

Post by TheDosProgrammer »

I think that the video is stupid. As many young people will call ANYTHING older than 1 year "ancient." Don't bother with these videos as the whole point of them is to increase number of the subcribers. It's all about how you look at it. If you like old software, than this is your opinion. And what is "modern" for you is your opinion too. These people (in the video) looks as they have been paid to speak in video.

IceFairyAmy

Post by IceFairyAmy »

TheDosProgrammer wrote:I think that the video is stupid. As many young people will call ANYTHING older than 1 year "ancient." Don't bother with these videos as the whole point of them is to increase number of the subcribers. It's all about how you look at it. If you like old software, than this is your opinion. And what is "modern" for you is your opinion too. These people (in the video) looks as they have been paid to speak in video.
Lol they'll say something that happened a month ago was old and 'cringy'.

JustZisGuy

Post by JustZisGuy »

That video should really be titled "Teens react to a beat up old Dell box that isn't even hooked up to the internet". If they were going to demonstrate internet access they should have had it plugged in to Ethernet or a phone line. And it made no sense why they were blabbing about wi-fi. No sane person would use wi-fi on a desktop computer. That might be fast enough for slow American DSL/Cable internet, but to access local file servers or do other real work, Ethernet is the only option. (not to mention setting up your own wi-fi network can be a pain in densely populated areas and is not very secure).

This reminds me of when I bough a brand new mac-mini around 2006 for some development stuff. I showed it to someone soon after and they were horrified I had "wasted" so much money on such an old clunky thing. Why? Because I had it connected to a crappy old Dell CRT monitor, similar to the one in the video, and they just could not see past that.

Seriously, put Windows 95 on a later machine, with a "modern" short screen LCD monitor and an a black-box CPU unit back-lit with blue LEDs, and they would probably think it is something new and cool.

It really doesn't do justice to Windows 95 to see it so horribly out of context. They should show then Windows 3.1 first, and how awful the 3.1 user interface was. (And show them a 1984 Mac to see where Bill Gates ripped 95's UI from.) But teens probably still would not understand the real improvements, such as built-in networking, TCP/IP support, peer-to-peer file sharing that didn't require expensive server licenses, native 32-bit application support, and doing all this while maintaining pretty damn good compatiblity with DOS and Windows 3.1 unlike OS/2 or NT.

Also, Windows 95 will automatically power down any computer with an ATX power supply and proper BIOS support.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

You really have no proper experience with wifi do you? Wifi works just fine with "real work" or accessing local file servers, at least if you use at least 802.11g or better (n or ac) which are standards today on all wifi devices. And a lot of desktops use wifi because not everyone can or want to pull ethernet cable everywhere. A lot of modern desktop motherboards come with wifi built in as well. I am saying this with experience using wifi on desktops at work without any issues, and except video editing everyone uses wifi for DTP work, server maintenance, website publishing, magazine design and publishing, music editing and much more. Works just fine. We run these things even across VPN connections from far away and even if it's slower than local wifi it's still workable.

Either way, that video is just pointless and dumb and says more about the portrayal of teens in the video, or the teens themselves. My nephew, who grew up with Windows XP and newer never had any issues whatsoever using legacy stuff. Sure he thought it was limited and old, but he didn't act like he was given a rock and two sticks and flip out because it wasn't "modern". These kids clearly don't use computers at all since some of them seems to even have issues pressing a physical button... Unless they never used a computer at all (no, playing World of Warcraft, PUBG or Overwatch doesn't count as "using a computer") Windows 95 shouldn't be any issue whatsoever considering that the basic UI elements are the same as with Win7/10, and the rest they can figure out easily in 5 mins with a few clicks.

Pointless.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube

IceFairyAmy

Post by IceFairyAmy »

Yeah, Windows design hasn't really aesthetically changed in terms of usability since 95, it's still rather navigable ^^

TheDosProgrammer

I used Windows 95 for about 8 years (when it was “modern”). It was a big advancement (in comparison to Windows 3.1 program and file manager) for its time. And if you won’t get up while trying to open some modern programs (e, than you can do real work on Windows 95. As mrpijey said, the video is absolutely pointless.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

What would really be cool is if these kids were forced to use OpenVMS. I think that they would lose their minds.
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!

TheDosProgrammer

It would be funny if these kids were forced to use AT&T System V UNIX - typical unix without default desktop shell, very user unfriendly OS. They probably wouldn't even know how to log in to system (because the password field stays empty while you are trying to enter password and they would think that this unix stuff don't work).
Offtopic Comment
There used to be an incredible variety of stuff on youtube. Now it is just a pile of clips 5 year olds recorded with their cell phones - with advertisements.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

Or even better, make them try to use an Altair 8800, which requires programming in 0's and 1's. They would run back to their cell phones in no time.
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Or give them a bag of components and a blank PCB plate and let them design and build their own system... it all depends on what generation you come from and what you're used to. And then there are some kids half your age that would run circles around you when it comes to knowledge about electronics, computing and programming.

Either way the video is just dumb and pointless, shove a toolbox and a pipe wrench into the hands of a professional neurosurgeon and you will pretty much get the same result...

Video was only for silly puns and likes, that's all.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube

LordKappa

Post by LordKappa »

Yeah, all "___ react to ____" videos are just overacted clickbait. My niece isn't even a teen and when she played on my Windows 98 box she was surprised not by how different it was, but how similar it was; it wasn't foreign to her at all.

rloew

Post by rloew »

Vacuum tubes were fun.
Ever unroll a wax encased capacitor?

ExplicitNuM5

Post by ExplicitNuM5 »

LordKappa wrote:Yeah, all "___ react to ____" videos are just overacted clickbait. My niece isn't even a teen and when she played on my Windows 98 box she was surprised not by how different it was, but how similar it was; it wasn't foreign to her at all.
They should totally do a Kids React To Windows 7. Guaranteed that the kids would flip out. The Fine Brothers should stick out of the tech world since they can't make a damn decent video for it.
XDA-Developers: mr_verystock
Facebook: ___ ___ng
Google +: okcn .aline
Tom's Hardware : okcnaline
OSBetaArchive: ExplicitNuM5

geminiman112

Post by geminiman112 »

As someone around their age, this video seems to be absolutely ridiculous and mere pandering.
TheDosProgrammer wrote:
Offtopic Comment
There used to be an incredible variety of stuff on youtube. Now it is just a pile of clips 5 year olds recorded with their cell phones - with advertisements.
Is that a toastytech.com quote?

SoftPCMuseum

Post by SoftPCMuseum »

geminiman112 wrote:As someone around their age, this video seems to be absolutely ridiculous and mere pandering.
TheDosProgrammer wrote:
Offtopic Comment
Is that a toastytech.com quote?
Yes it is, from this page here: http://toastytech.com/about/opinions.html
Nathan Lineback wrote:YouTube
There used to be an incredible variety of stuff on youtube. Now it is just a pile of clips 5 year olds recorded with their cell phones - with advertisements. And their recent update made it incompatible with my computer. All the good stuff (much of which you will never see on US television.) has migrated over to various peer-to-peer sites.
Latest release of Virtual Computer emulator available here:
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 72&t=39197

TheDosProgrammer

Yes it is from toastytech and I totally agree with it.

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

TheDosProgrammer wrote:
Offtopic Comment
Offtopic Comment
There still is somewhat a variety of stuff on YouTube, but clearly not as good as it once was for sure. (Recording stuff with their cell phones and uploading it, seems pretty legit for YouTube)
Also, the stuff that seems to plague YT (To me) are Fake Giveaways and lots of Click-bait (Big chunk of it).

Alot of demonetization/censoring that's been going on YouTube (somewhat recently) is also a big problem with YouTube right now.

I don't wanna drift off-topic from the original post, but that also has been pretty much discussed.

Procta

Post by Procta »

IceFairyAmy wrote:

Windows XP was what I grew up with and I was born in 2001. It was the start of the NT kernel being aimed at both the home and business environment, so it should really be considered as such, I agree.

it 20 years ago for me when I started secondary school that I was introduced properly to computers. We thought it was great when we saw windows 95 with all the fancy screen savers etc. from 97 right up to the year you were born we were still using windows 95, the school I think was starting to switch over to windows 2000, as they started to get laptops with windows ME on. Also the internet had made its way in to our school! only the library had it in lol, one half of the school didn't even have any computers in at all! but that started to change when they refitted the class rooms out for the Ethernet.

Also windows 95 was the very 1st operating system I ever installed on a computer too, Windows XP was the OS that really got to know from doing a MCP, and I really gelled with, one OS I really do miss!
My sister who is a year younger than you, used windows XP at school, right up until two years ago when they switched to windows 7