BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 11d, 20h, 42m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 4294MB of 8191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:29 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn/Vista 5112
What type of blur does Windows Vista/7 use in the background of windows and the taskbar?
Is it gaussian blur?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:49 pm 

Favourite OS
OpenStep 4.1
i think its gaussian blur as you said

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn
I always wondered that, too! Is there any tutorial to create a glass-effect like the *real* glass? (Preferably Longhorn-Style, too, because I believe details changed from let's say Beta 1 to the RTM).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:03 am 

Favourite OS
NT 5 & 6
details ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:59 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn/Vista 5112
One thing I have found is the image that is placed over the blur to imitate reflections on the glass:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 3713
Pretty Cool finds but yes Windows Aero does use Gaussian blur as people have said.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 pm 

Favourite OS
NT 5 & 6
so ?
it was there since b1

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:12 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 3.1-6.3
LuLu wrote:
so ?
it was there since b1

Actually, blur appeared in 4066 4074 my bad for leaked builds, and 5048 has it too(if you use XPDM/WDDM drives for DWM, with standard vga it won't work.), here's a screenshot of 4074 with blur(you need patched desksrv or it will get green borders):
http://longhorn.ms/wp-content/uploads/4 ... erview.png

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
TinaMeineKatze wrote:
I always wondered that, too! Is there any tutorial to create a glass-effect like the *real* glass? (Preferably Longhorn-Style, too, because I believe details changed from let's say Beta 1 to the RTM).

hey man, back when I admin'd the joejoe.org site someone had uploaded a great tutorial that helped me learn how to create a "glass-effect" in photoshop, I have attached the .RAR, I believe it was Jordy (?) but I am more than likely wrong on that, lol

anywho... hope it helps yo!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zbburrz53 ... hop%21.zip

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 am 

Favourite OS
NT 5 & 6
i meant for "reflection" layer

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:00 pm 
FTP Access

Something like this?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:43 am 

Favourite OS
4039, 7850
dejco wrote:

Not my question to answer, but I couldn't help but say that's a pretty impressive recreation.

Offtopic Comment
No surprise there, though...you're the guy who made that Longhorn Start Menu recreation I used in that Classic Shell skin (and later modified slightly for use in skin for the upcoming Start9), aren't you? Funny seeing you around here O.o

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:22 pm 
FTP Access

Splitwirez wrote:
dejco wrote:

Not my question to answer, but I couldn't help but say that's a pretty impressive recreation.

Offtopic Comment
No surprise there, though...you're the guy who made that Longhorn Start Menu recreation I used in that Classic Shell skin (and later modified slightly for use in skin for the upcoming Start9), aren't you? Funny seeing you around here O.o

It is bad. I should use gray, black, gray to gray gradients to make it more accurate.

Offtopic Comment
I made my account here in'08

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:49 pm 

Favourite OS
4039, 7850
dejco wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:
dejco wrote:

Offtopic Comment

It is bad. I should use gray, black, gray to gray gradients to make it more accurate.

...wait, the glass reflection thing or the Longhorn menu background?

dejco wrote:
Offtopic Comment
I made my account here in'08

Offtopic Comment
I haven't been on here half that long lol...never noticed you around before, that's all ^-^

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of blur does Windows Aero use?        Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
dejco wrote:

nice one dude... I kinda skipped through it quickly, but that was pretty damn spot on

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW