Suggestion: Make part of FTP public while WinWorld is down

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
winnt32
Permanently Banned

Suggestion: Make part of FTP public while WinWorld is down

Post by winnt32 »

Simply because:

1) WinWorld is down so noone can find any betas or stuff (because OSBA is down too)
2) It's slightly unfair to people who can't find things or poor people to have your FTP locked down.
3) I know you can search on archive.org, but that's extremely tiring and hard just to get say, longhorn 4093.

Like, you could have 1tb or so (1/76th of your current size) of OS betas (windows, mac, linux, and not every build of say, windows 10) and some windows software (not all of it) on a seperate server so people could use it while winworld is down.

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: Suggestion: Make part of FTP public while WinWorld is do

Post by mrpijey »

1. So why should we open our FTP because some other site is down? Doesn't make sense at all... We don't have any responsibility towards WinWorld or any other site to act as a "backup" provider if any of them goes down... sites go up and down every day, should we open our FTP also if Google shut down to make it easier for you to find your stuff? What if Steam is down for some reason, should we open up the FTP too just so people can get their old games?

2. Life is unfair. Deal with it. We have our requirements for a reason, and they stay. Members always find a way to contribute, one way or another. We don't ask for much, and it's not difficult to find something to contribute either. The FTP is locked down for some very good reasons you know...

3. And? Tell them to improve their search then, has nothing to do with us either.

If they want access to our server then they need to contribute, just as members have done to this day.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

1. We are not WinWorld nor OSBA, so this has nothing to do with us. Take is up with the owners of those sites.
2. As mrpijey says, life is unfair. We have these rules in place to prevent people grabbing what they want without ever contributing. If we didn't, we would never survive and our goal of preservation would never be met.
3. Again, nothing to do with us.

Sept

Post by Sept »

There is another source you can use which is the old dos ftp

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

1. We have nothing to do with WinWorld nor OSBA. We are BA. Yes, we are of the same genre as them, and there are members of two or three of these forums, but the websites are still independent of each other.
2. Learn this principal law of the universe and everything - there is no such thing as a free lunch. You have to work, contribute in some way to get our FTP files. Mere spamming and posting on the forum gets you nowhere.
3. Nor do we have anything with Archive.org, and their search feature does not work. They used to have a function to look inside ISO files, but they removed it for no reason.

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

winnt32 wrote:2) It's slightly unfair to people who can't find things or poor people to have your FTP locked down.
The unexpected death of some unrelated software collection site (and competitor, if that can be said) has nothing to do with and zero effect on BetaArchive and their FTP server. There is nothing remotely "unfair" about a site that is determined to keep on enforcing its rules for its FTP server when some unspecified event forced a website to close its doors and thereby not offer its software mirrors to the general public. No one in the software collection scene is held to some unwritten standard that says "when a brother dies, one must keep the show going" - this is BetaArchive, an independent software collection site, and both administrators have said their final word on the matter.

Now with that said, I believe this thread has fully served its purpose. Have a good day.
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

And how would BA benefit from this?
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

geminiman112

Post by geminiman112 »

winnt32 wrote:Simply because:

1) WinWorld is down so noone can find any betas or stuff (because OSBA is down too)
2) It's slightly unfair to people who can't find things or poor people to have your FTP locked down.
3) I know you can search on archive.org, but that's extremely tiring and hard just to get say, longhorn 4093.

Like, you could have 1tb or so (1/76th of your current size) of OS betas (windows, mac, linux, and not every build of say, windows 10) and some windows software (not all of it) on a seperate server so people could use it while winworld is down.
Look, I bought a scanner just so I could contribute. Unless you have scavenged your house and have found nothing to contribute, you should be able to at least upload something. It's unfortunate that WinWorld is down and I feel bad for those who are affected by the situation (I'm not going into detail to be tactful), but that is not our issue. I have a couple of betas stored on my hard drive from WinWorld, but I am aware that some of that was mirrored from BetaArchive so it would not be a good idea to share the files. Sorry.

James

Post by James »

1) OSBA and WinWorld's downtime is not our problem. It is the problem of the owners of those respective websites, and given WinWorldPC.net's statement-- local or national (US) law enforcement.
2) This is how it's been since 2006. Not our problem.
3) See above.

TL'DR: Not our problem.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

Plus an explanation is available at the web address that James just mentioned anyways, but here's part of it:
winworldpc.net wrote:It has been brought to my attention that over the past year, several young members of our community have been the subject of sexual harassment and intimidation by a staff member. This is completely unacceptable.
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

whistler2250 wrote:Plus an explanation is available at the web address that James just mentioned anyways, but here's part of it:
winworldpc.net wrote:It has been brought to my attention that over the past year, several young members of our community have been the subject of sexual harassment and intimidation by a staff member. This is completely unacceptable.
Let's not forget that one admin there who I shall not mention has been very rude to people over the past several years, banning me and several other friendly members, throwing them in the so-called "River". I'm not accusing him though of sexual harassment and intimidation, I just found it funny.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

Anyways, here's an archived version on winworldpc if you're really desperate: https://web.archive.org/web/20170904143 ... orldpc.com

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

It appears all the stuff that was in https://winworldpc.net/ just annulled itself after we posted here. Interesting.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

DiskingRound wrote:It appears all the stuff that was in https://winworldpc.net/ just annulled itself after we posted here. Interesting.
They must have read this thread then! But here is the original statement: http://archive.is/LKXLX.

TuneableSumo876

Post by TuneableSumo876 »

It was annulled because WinWorld is coming back sometime this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

This thread had played out its purpose.

Locked.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP