Bootdisks Windows NT 3.5 Workstation (3.50.807.1) [English]

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Beluga

Bootdisks Windows NT 3.5 Workstation (3.50.807.1) [English]

Post by Beluga »

The FTP release "Microsoft Windows NT 3.5 Workstation (3.50.807.1) [English]" has bootdisks with it that were (quite likely) manually created with wrong options. This makes the installer look for the installation files on the harddrive and not on a CD or a floppy as it should.

This problem is also described here: http://windowsitpro.com/windows/jsi-tip ... tion-setup

By the way: As I did not find a lot of other topics like this, is it ok to report problems like this in this forum?

YourAverageJoe

Re: Bootdisks Windows NT 3.5 Workstation (3.50.807.1) [Engli

Post by YourAverageJoe »

Beluga wrote:The FTP release "Microsoft Windows NT 3.5 Workstation (3.50.807.1) [English]" has bootdisks with it that were (quite likely) manually created with wrong options. This makes the installer look for the installation files on the harddrive and not on a CD or a floppy as it should.

This problem is also described here: http://windowsitpro.com/windows/jsi-tip ... tion-setup

By the way: As I did not find a lot of other topics like this, is it ok to report problems like this in this forum?
so basically remove winnit.sif from diskette 2?
hOI!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!!!

Beluga

Post by Beluga »

Yes, this way you can fix the problem. Or of course you can just generate new floppies from the CD.

But mainly I made this post to point out that the release is not authentic. The disc images are generated ones. They are for sure not a dump of the discs that were shipped in the box.

dr.thawne

Post by dr.thawne »

You may just be able to use a standard Windows 95 Boot Disk. CD to the drive with the installer and run setup.exe.
Hope this helps
Dr. Eobard Thawne

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

dr.thawne wrote:You may just be able to use a standard Windows 95 Boot Disk. CD to the drive with the installer and run setup.exe.
Hope this helps
It doesn't help because this won't work. If you're starting NT setup from DOS, you have to run WINNT.EXE in the i386 folder first, preferably with a /b switch so it doesn't create its own bootdisks during install. You may also have to lock the system partition using the LOCK command, and running SMARTDRV prior to installation is recommended to speed things up.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Nashville

Post by Nashville »

I have tried to re-create Disk 2 with right options (edited WINNT.SIF), I also restored all dates back to 1994 with Attribute Changer (folder SYSTEM32 have date from 2003), but when I start setup, it rejects (it doesn't want to go throw the setup). I tried with WinImage, but it's not working (I don't know how, but IMG doesn't want to read), so I sticked with MagicISO. I think I used wrong program, but I need a clear solution.
My wanted stuff (original media):

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2000 SP4 (aka SP1a)