Windows NT 5.0 Beta 1 in Virtual PC 2007

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
SupernovaNick

Windows NT 5.0 Beta 1 in Virtual PC 2007

Post by SupernovaNick »

I have tried emulating every version of Windows before Windows XP in Virtual PC 2007. I switched to QEMU because i can't seem to get Windows NT 5.0 Beta 1 to work (I'm using build 1671). I found out that it needs to be installed as an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows or from an MS-DOS/Windows 9x boot disk in order to work (it doesn't format correctly and does not copy files correctly if installed solely from the CD). I also found out that in order to prevent a BSOD at the beginning of setup, ACPI and power management have to be disabled before installing (I even did this before installing an earlier version of Windows to upgrade from and/or before using a boot disk.) Everything works right until the first GUI part of setup. The OS loader boots up the setup, but it shows a BSOD instead of the blue screen and the OS version, build number, and ram. It then immediately gives me an error box: "An internal virtual machine error (3) has occured. The virtual machine will reset".

I even tried installing it in VirtualBox (on a VHD) first. In VirtualBox, the setup works straight from the CD without any errors at all. I then moved the VHD to Virtual PC but when it loads up, it gives me the exact same BSOD and error message as before, except it says: "An unrecoverable processor error has occured. The virtual machine will reset".

I know it is possible installing build 1671 in Virtual PC because https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqFsfv ... lwKDRpvg2Q on YouTube seems to have done it correctly, but his showcase video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG5dts24ukI) doesn't say how.

Was there something I missed? Has anyone else successfully installed build 1671 in Virtual PC?

Thanks

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: Windows NT 5.0 Beta 1 in Virtual PC 2007

Post by AlphaBeta »

What BSOD do you get? Also, you might wish to try 86Box.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

The OS is tripple faulting, hence you get the processor error. Are you sure you disabled ACPI and power management? Also make sure you disable hardware assisted virtualization.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

SupernovaNick wrote:I have tried emulating every version of Windows before Windows XP in Virtual PC 2007. I switched to QEMU because i can't seem to get Windows NT 5.0 Beta 1 to work (I'm using build 1671). I found out that it needs to be installed as an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows or from an MS-DOS/Windows 9x boot disk in order to work (it doesn't format correctly and does not copy files correctly if installed solely from the CD). I also found out that in order to prevent a BSOD at the beginning of setup, ACPI and power management have to be disabled before installing (I even did this before installing an earlier version of Windows to upgrade from and/or before using a boot disk.) Everything works right until the first GUI part of setup. The OS loader boots up the setup, but it shows a BSOD instead of the blue screen and the OS version, build number, and ram. It then immediately gives me an error box: "An internal virtual machine error (3) has occured. The virtual machine will reset".

I even tried installing it in VirtualBox (on a VHD) first. In VirtualBox, the setup works straight from the CD without any errors at all. I then moved the VHD to Virtual PC but when it loads up, it gives me the exact same BSOD and error message as before, except it says: "An unrecoverable processor error has occured. The virtual machine will reset".

I know it is possible installing build 1671 in Virtual PC because https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqFsfv ... lwKDRpvg2Q on YouTube seems to have done it correctly, but his showcase video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG5dts24ukI) doesn't say how.

Was there something I missed? Has anyone else successfully installed build 1671 in Virtual PC?

Thanks
You transferred a vhd from one virtualization software to another in a quick and dirty fashion, and you didn't expect any problems? Maybe you should try actually installing.
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!

windowsawesome

Post by windowsawesome »

Try VirtualBox or VMware since Virtual PC Is kinda old.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

whistler2250 wrote:You transferred a vhd from one virtualization software to another in a quick and dirty fashion, and you didn't expect any problems? Maybe you should try actually installing.
Transferring the VHD after the first phase setup shouldn't cause any problems, unless you install it with ACPI enabled and then transfer it to a VM with ACPI disabled, i.e. HAL trouble. Other than that, the system copied by usetup is pretty generic.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
whistler2250 wrote:You transferred a vhd from one virtualization software to another in a quick and dirty fashion, and you didn't expect any problems? Maybe you should try actually installing.
Transferring the VHD after the first phase setup shouldn't cause any problems, unless you install it with ACPI enabled and then transfer it to a VM with ACPI disabled, i.e. HAL trouble. Other than that, the system copied by usetup is pretty generic.
Given the error, I think it's the ACPI, because VirtualBox enables acpi by default, and as such, might be the problem.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

Also, I have a Windows 8.1 partition on my PC that I mostly use for Virtual PC since it doesn't work with Windows 10. I'll try out Build 1671 if I have the time later today.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

windowsawesome wrote:Try VirtualBox or VMware since Virtual PC Is kinda old.
VirtualBox and VMware is not suited for old betas such as build 1671.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
windowsawesome wrote:Try VirtualBox or VMware since Virtual PC Is kinda old.
VirtualBox and VMware is not suited for old betas such as build 1671.
That's a ridiculous statement. Plenty of Old NT 5.0 Betas work in VirtualBox and VMware, and I manage to get all the drivers to function. But I'll test out just to see how true it is....

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

OK, here it is:

Windows Thunderstruck

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

Wow! How did you get full color in 1671?
When I used the VirtualBox Additions on that build way back in 2015, it did not work at all.
Step by step please for both that build and 2031, just in case I come across those builds.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:Wow! How did you get full color in 1671?
When I used the VirtualBox Additions on that build way back in 2015, it did not work at all.
See, problems like this is why I do not recommend using such old builds in virtualization software which are not optimized for running pre-release operating systems from the 1990's. Sadly people seem to be stubborn and continue to drill the screw into a plank using a screwdriver, where using a cordless drill might be easier.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

Step by step please for both that build and 2031, just in case I come across those builds.
I just used the VirtualBox NT miniport driver from the os2museum. Once downloaded, mount the floppy in the vm, open display properties, go to display, click on advanced, select the adapter tab, click on properties, select the driver tab, and lcik on the update driver button. Select to specify the driver then click the have disk button. Then point to A:\. After a reboot, it will give you 32-bit color at up to 2048x1536.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
See, problems like this is why I do not recommend using such old builds in virtualization software which are not optimized for running pre-release operating systems from the 1990's. Sadly people seem to be stubborn and continue to drill the screw into a plank using a screwdriver, where using a cordless drill might be easier.
Also, for NT Betas and Finals from NT 3.1 to NT 5.0 (Windows 2000), I prefer VirtualBox because while I have to manually install the drivers in many cases, it's usually only a couple of critical ones that don't have any problems or tricks whatsoever in installing. I could use 86Box, but because I prefer large disk sizes, more modern networking, and more speed, and as such, I usually stick with virtualization software unless it's like Windows 1.0 DR5 that will ONLY work in an emulator (aka really old).

Windows Thunderstruck

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

I will use only finals on VBox
Can you run it in VMWare without any glitches?

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

I manged to get certain NT 5.0 Betas to run on VMware just fine and used the manually extracted display drivers (unfortunately, audio doesn't work).

TL7

Post by TL7 »

SupernovaNick wrote:[hide]I have tried emulating every version of Windows before Windows XP in Virtual PC 2007. I switched to QEMU because i can't seem to get Windows NT 5.0 Beta 1 to work (I'm using build 1671). I found out that it needs to be installed as an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows or from an MS-DOS/Windows 9x boot disk in order to work (it doesn't format correctly and does not copy files correctly if installed solely from the CD). I also found out that in order to prevent a BSOD at the beginning of setup, ACPI and power management have to be disabled before installing (I even did this before installing an earlier version of Windows to upgrade from and/or before using a boot disk.) Everything works right until the first GUI part of setup. The OS loader boots up the setup, but it shows a BSOD instead of the blue screen and the OS version, build number, and ram. It then immediately gives me an error box: "An internal virtual machine error (3) has occured. The virtual machine will reset".

Thanks[/hide]
Hello. Are there some error codes provided by the blue screen of death you are encountering?
You may try comparing the VM settings.
Alternatively, you can just do the work in VirtualBox. It has more features.

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

The BSOD says 0x0000003E. I am disabling ACPI and power management in Virtual PC 2007 but it doesn't make a difference. I still get this BSOD. This does not happen with any other beta 1 or pre-beta build.

By the way I did try 86box but I am performing these installations on an old host computer and 86box runs ridiculously slow. The host also has no hardware virtualization.

I just want to be able to find out how to successfully install build 1671 in Virtual PC 2007.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

SupernovaNick wrote:The BSOD says 0x0000003E. I am disabling ACPI and power management in Virtual PC 2007 but it doesn't make a difference. I still get this BSOD. This does not happen with any other beta 1 or pre-beta build.

By the way I did try 86box but I am performing these installations on an old host computer and 86box runs ridiculously slow. The host also has no hardware virtualization.

I just want to be able to find out how to successfully install build 1671 in Virtual PC 2007.
It's slow because the dynarec isn't perfect yet, and because it emulates a real machine of its period. You can't expect its speed to be par with VPC2007's.

Edit: granted 86box requires a more powerful host machine.

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

Just out of curiosity, does build 1671 have a timebomb? I have seen notes on the internet that state the apparent timebombs of other Windows 2000 pre-beta and beta 1 builds, but they don't apply to the disks I have (I got them from ftp://old-dos.ru). According to TheCollectionBook, the timebomb for build 1671 is 08/05/1998 and the BIOS date should be set to 10/09/1997.

I doubt that this will fix the error, since this error is a processor or internal virtual machine error, but I am just curious to know.