Is ReactOS fully compatibility with Windows?

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
Azazaz_Channel

Is ReactOS fully compatibility with Windows?

Post by Azazaz_Channel »

I have Virtual machine withReact OS 0.3.9. Is windows applications compatible with ReactOS?

oscareczek

Re: Is ReactOS fully compatibility with Windows?

Post by oscareczek »

1. The latest version is 0.4.5 and yes, they still make VMs with the newest versions of ReactOS.
2. Well, that's the point of ReactOS, for compatibility with each app check appdb.winehq.org (as they share the code IIRC)

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

ReactOS is designed to be binary compatible with Windows Server 2003 and should be mostly compatible with the majority of applications for it. However, the usability of such a setup is in doubt as many popular apps don't run 100% flawless in ReactOS, from memory I can mention invisible window controls in Firefox's window frame and strange visual bugs in Word 2010. In addition, as oscareczek said in his post, for the best experience I suggest you to either download version 0.4.5, or even a daily build also available from ReactOS's website. ReactOS 0.3.9 is terribly out of date.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

ReactOS is missing a lot of Platform implementations, like MFC, the VB6 runtime, and Terminal Services.

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

RentedMule wrote:ReactOS is missing a lot of Platform implementations, like MFC, the VB6 runtime, and Terminal Services.
But wine doesn't have such things as well!

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

…because these projects are connected.

sparcdr

Post by sparcdr »

Mostly, but I would recommend you look into Wine compatibility (Consider WineD3D code sharing) per product and talk to the developers when they do livestreams on YouTube. They will try to run anything you ask them to, or link them to, including spyware/malware for fun if you ask nice. These are staffed mostly by German contributers/fans. ReactOS aims to provide a more secure Windows Server 2003 SP1 experience, with backporting of some R2 features and use/support of DX10, DDraw/GDI through Wine collaboration and ABI dll drop-in. Their application manager can pull in dependencies now for a lot of apps.