[OFFER] Lots of Floppy Programs!!

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
TheTerminatorExecuter

[OFFER] Lots of Floppy Programs!!

Post by TheTerminatorExecuter »

Alright, so I just got finished copying all of my program floppies to a USB, with them all organized. I'll get around to scanning them tomorrow, but here is the list of programs before I do that. (Includes amount of floppies per program)
---
Astound 2 (6)
Links 386 PRO (4)
Links Champion Course Mauna Kea (3)
Microsoft Word 2.0 (6)
Pro Audio 16 Basic (1)
TurboCAD 3D 1.0 (4)
TurboCAD 3.0 (4)

Can I upload these? (With scans, of-course!)
my weakness is old dell computers

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: [OFFER] Lots of Floppy Programs!!

Post by mrpijey »

Yes, you can upload them.

How did you dump the floppies?
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

TheTerminatorExecuter

Post by TheTerminatorExecuter »

I copied them one by one into their respective folders. (Structure is FLOPPY -> FLOPPY #)
my weakness is old dell computers

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

TheTerminatorExecuter wrote:I copied them one by one into their respective folders. (Structure is FLOPPY -> FLOPPY #)
You mean you just copied the files off the disks? Because that's not acceptable. You should really use a disk imaging tool that produces raw disk images (IMG/IMA), such as WinImage (if you haven't done so already).
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

TheTerminatorExecuter wrote:I copied them one by one into their respective folders. (Structure is FLOPPY -> FLOPPY #)
Then I'm afraid it will not be interesting for BA, especially if you dumped them on Windows. Bad luck.

Edit: I dumped some of them myself, or at least some similar ones, for example TurboCAD 3D 1.0, TurboCAD 3.01 (in German) and Links (not the 386 Pro variant though). They were also uploaded to BA but I didn't check if they're on the FTP yet.
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

Darkstar wrote:Then I'm afraid it will not be interesting for BA, especially if you dumped them on Windows. Bad luck.
The least we can do is hope that the disks were write-protected before he inserted them in the drive.

If you really need a tool to dump the floppies to *.IMG but you don't want to pay for WinImage, here's another good tool, I can attest that this works on Windows 7 and USB floppy drives because I've used it that way in the past:
http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

You don't need to pay for WinImage to use it...

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Wow, I just realized that there is a "Professional Mode" for WinImage, that you get when you register. Anyone ever used it? What does it do? And is it worth registering the program for it?
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

I've used the shareware version for years without any issues.

Differences between shareware and free:

http://www.winimage.com/faq.htm

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

The Professional version allows you to change boot sectors and file dates/times which comes in handy when you downloaded a folder dump from the Internet, the files are dated 2017 but you have a HTML with a directory listing with the original dates and times, that way you can set the files (and directories) in the image to the correct dates and times, and also load the correct boot sector for the period of the software. Makes the resulting floppy image much closer to the real thing.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

SoftPCMuseum

Post by SoftPCMuseum »

Battler wrote:The Professional version allows you to change boot sectors and file dates/times which comes in handy when you downloaded a folder dump from the Internet, the files are dated 2017 but you have a HTML with a directory listing with the original dates and times, that way you can set the files (and directories) in the image to the correct dates and times, and also load the correct boot sector for the period of the software. Makes the resulting floppy image much closer to the real thing.
There is also a program online known as "File Date Changer" which provides the ability to change file dates. I agree about the feature in WinImage Professional to change boot sector contents though, since it is definitely an advantage over the free version.
Latest release of Virtual Computer emulator available here:
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 72&t=39197

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

But not needed if all you need to do is dump stuff to img. But as mentioned there are also other tools that can do that...