BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 18d, 7h, 33m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 20211MB of 24567MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Some PC/DOS game floppies, anything worth uploading?        Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:34 am 

Favourite OS
Sinclair BASIC
Hello, it's my first post here.

Just dug my old storagebox of MS-DOS/PC-floppies. Anything worth archiving?

• V for Victory - Utah Beach
  • Spaceward Ho!
  • Dyna Blaster
  • Global Conquest
  • Populous II
  • Carrier Command [PC/AMIGA DUAL FORMAT]
  • Crisis in Kremlin
  • Creatures [Egg Disk]
  • SimEarth
  • Valhalla [later published as Shareware under name Ragnarok]
  • Theatre of War
  • VGA Planets [Beta floppy set]
  • Football Manager 2
  • Empire Deluxe
  • Special Forces
  • The Global Dilemma: Guns or Butter
  • A-Train
  • Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Revenge
  • Silpheed Demo Disk (bundled with IBM PS/1 Joystick/Audio Interface)
  • Imperium
  • F-19 Stealth Fighter
  • SimLife
  • King's Quest [v 2.0F]
  • King's Quest II [v 2.2]

Some floppies have no box or did not have box to begin with. Some floppies got big boxes, some have small boxes.

Let me know if there's anything interesting and I will find out how to proceed with scanning etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some PC/DOS game floppies, anything worth uploading?        Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:24 am 
Administrator

From what I see all of it is interesting since it's original. Even if we have some of these games we still need proper floppy dumps as well as scans of the floppies, so if you can provide these it would be great!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Some PC/DOS game floppies, anything worth uploading?        Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:39 am 
VIP

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
If you need them scanned / dumped (with a KryoFlux) and don't mind sending them away for a while, contact me and we can work something out

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some PC/DOS game floppies, anything worth uploading?        Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:21 am 

Favourite OS
Sinclair BASIC
Ok! There is some obstacles tho, I have no scanner available, so I will have to wait until I find someone willing to scan these, could take months especially when I'm going soon for a 4 week trip abroad. Also the empty boxes are not located at my home, but a separate storage. But step by step. :)

Disk image files I can make anytime, but do you recommend that I wait until I have scans of the floppies and boxes before submitting anything?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some PC/DOS game floppies, anything worth uploading?        Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:02 pm 
Administrator

If possible take up Darkstar on his offer and allow him to loan your floppies for proper dumps and scan. I can also help you if it's closer or cheaper.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Some PC/DOS game floppies, anything worth uploading?        Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:48 am 

Favourite OS
Sinclair BASIC
Hi again,

I managed to find a suitable scanner and I visited my storage, brought all the game boxes to my home and now I am slowly scanning all the boxes whenever I have time.

I already made images from all the floppies with USB Floppy drive/WinImage. Unfortunately few had read errors (Carrier Command, Empire Deluxe, F19, KQ2, KQ3, KQ1). I will upload only those games that had no disk errors.

I first focused on Darklands to make my first FTP upload. If it is OK, I'll continue with same method with other games.

I read your instructions about making a contribution and tried to follow the instructions as close as possible.

I carefully scanned everything except manual book inner pages, as I found a good quality scan PDF from some web page (http://www.mocagh.org/miscgame/darklands-manual.pdf)
I put the manual book and official clue book into "Extras" folder inside the 7z-archive (please ignore the Extras folder if I am supposed to contribute 100% my own scans).
All the other images I scanned myself.

"Darklands (1992) (3.5''-1.44MB) [English].7z" upload is now ready in my upload folder. Let me know if there's any problems with it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some PC/DOS game floppies, anything worth uploading?        Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:06 am 
Administrator

Scans look very good, but please don't crop the cover scans, just leave them with some margins around them. And don't forget the top/bottom sides :). Everything else looks great!

Even if you have some bad floppies, would you mind still scanning and dumping them and mark the bad floppies and sets as "incomplete"? We would still like the scans, covers and working data since someone else might have the missing pieces in the future. And we may also be able to reconstruct the bad data by replacing the damaged data files from folder dumps and other sets. These old floppy games are rare so we are trying to save as much as possible before it all goes bad.

Thanks for uploading!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Some PC/DOS game floppies, anything worth uploading?        Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:06 am 
VIP

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
If you send me the broken floppies I can try and see what I can salvage with a proper KryoFlux dump.

Top  Profile