[REQ] SPARC Linux Distros

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
User5274

[REQ] SPARC Linux Distros

Post by User5274 »

I am looking for these Linux distributions for SPARC. I ask you because I wasn't able to find any of them on the Internet, but I know they exist...
SuSE 7.3 for SPARC (suse-sparc-7.3-CD1.iso)
Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 for SPARC (?)
UltraPenguin 1.1 for SPARC (?)

whistler2250

Re: [REQ] SPARC Linux Distros

Post by whistler2250 »

Why do you want SPARC linux distro's? Is it because you have an old sun workstation?
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!

User5274

Post by User5274 »

whistler2250 wrote:Why do you want SPARC linux distro's? Is it because you have an old sun workstation?
No, I want to try them inside QEMU. Just for fun.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

User5274 wrote:
whistler2250 wrote:Why do you want SPARC linux distro's? Is it because you have an old sun workstation?
I have tried qemu's sun spark emulator and it's just plain terrible. Qemu is terrible for emulating anything that isn't x86 architecture.
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

whistler2250 wrote:
User5274 wrote:
I have tried qemu's sun spark emulator and it's just plain terrible. Qemu is terrible for emulating anything that isn't x86 architecture.
Actually it's the opposite. If you have the correct PROMs and know the options, qemu can emulate a SPARC and other architectures pretty well. It even runs Windows NT on MIPS, for example. But you need to know what you're doing and which switches/parameters you need to use, otherwise you will have the same experience that you had with it ...
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA