How to run Mac OS X 10.0 any DP in emulator?

Discuss OS X and OS X Server.
TheDosProgrammer

How to run Mac OS X 10.0 any DP in emulator?

Post by TheDosProgrammer »

Hello,
I want to test Mac OS X 10.0 Developer Previews, but I can't get it working in any emulator.
Sheepshaver can run Mac OS up to version 9, but the PearPC can't go bellow 10.1. I don't know how to use qemu; it just report couple of errors and hangs when I try to boot. I just want to test these builds, I don't matter about the speed. If you know the way to use Qemu, please post the answer.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Re: How to run Mac OS X 10.0 any DP in emulator?

Post by TheCollector1988 »

Well, currently only QEMU is capable of doing so and even then only in the latest releases.

nyteshade

Post by nyteshade »

TheDosProgrammer wrote:Hello,
I want to test Mac OS X 10.0 Developer Previews, but I can't get it working in any emulator.
Sheepshaver can run Mac OS up to version 9, but the PearPC can't go bellow 10.1. I don't know how to use qemu; it just report couple of errors and hangs when I try to boot. I just want to test these builds, I don't matter about the speed. If you know the way to use Qemu, please post the answer.
Don't know of an emulator, but I have a couple old PowerMacs that I could sell you for that Authentic Experience. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDosProgrammer

Post by TheDosProgrammer »

Here is the problem:
I live in Slovenia (Central Europe). These PowerMacs are really heavy because of HDDs, CRT monitors etc. The postage is very expensive here (don't ask me why). I paid more than 100$ of postage to get 5.25 inch floppy drive from USA.
Otherways it's nice to see that people really preserves their old machines ;)

Edit: If anyone can install DPs / PB to qemu, please post boot command (command to run qemu) and instructions. I spent more than 8 hours to create qemu boot command and still not working... Someone should make a gui for qemu...

vlad557776

Post by vlad557776 »

Sorry for bumping the topic, but I have DP2-DP4 and PB on QEMU. Here are the configs:

DP2:
qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -m 256 -hda ./MacOSDP2.img -boot c -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -sdl

DP3:
qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -m 256 -hda ./MacOSXDP3.img -boot c -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -sdl

DP4:
qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "boot-device=hd:,\\:tbxi" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=MacOSDP4.img,format=raw,media=disk -sdl -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01

PB:
qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M mac99 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=MacOSXPB.img,format=raw,media=disk -sdl -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 -rtc base=2000-08-29

Note for PB: DO NOT REMOVE THE -rtc ARGUMENT! PB is timebombed, so you'll need to set the date just like in my config.
Another note for PB: If installation fails (unbootable hard disk) redownload the ISO. That's some problem with PB, I don't know what causes it.

And these are the configs to boot from the hard disks. It's quite easy to boot from CD, just switch -boot c to -boot d and add the CDROM line.
The developer of Win1 Packet - https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 59&t=40233
The developer of IM1024 INSTALL.BAT Patch: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 59&t=40317

rbshep

Post by rbshep »

Another note for PB: If installation fails (unbootable hard disk) redownload the ISO. That's some problem with PB, I don't know what causes it.
I would advise changing 'media=disk' to 'media=cdrom' in your commands when specifiying the install media - this will ensure that the 'iso' file stays read-only ;)