'Windows XP Personal' in winnt.exe

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
SuperThecomputergeek
Donator

'Windows XP Personal' in winnt.exe

Post by SuperThecomputergeek »

When installing Windows XP Home Edition on PCem, i used a bootdisk from Windows ME to start winnt.exe to start the Windows XP setup from a DOS prompt as PCem wouldn't boot off my XP CD. (I found XP boot disks eventually) It failed, and I noticed instead of 'Windows XP Home Edition Setup' it said 'Windows XP Personal Setup'.

Image:

I wonder why M$ didn't change it?
SuperThecomputergeek
(I go by 'infrared' now)

TuneableSumo876

Re: 'Windows XP Personal' in winnt.exe

Post by TuneableSumo876 »

I don't think MS expected the average home user to see that screen, so they probably never bothered to change it.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

There's already plenty of topics like these, and the answer is always the same - it's leftover branding from the days before the final branding was put in place. Microsoft either didn't bother changing every single string or they simply overlooked it.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Zacchi4k

Post by Zacchi4k »

Overdoze wrote:There's already plenty of topics like these, and the answer is always the same - it's leftover branding from the days before the final branding was put in place. Microsoft either didn't bother changing every single string or they simply overlooked it.
Maybe M$ doesn't know about the "find and replace" function *hehe*

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Zacchi4k wrote:
Overdoze wrote:There's already plenty of topics like these, and the answer is always the same - it's leftover branding from the days before the final branding was put in place. Microsoft either didn't bother changing every single string or they simply overlooked it.
Maybe M$ doesn't know about the "find and replace" function *hehe*
Find and replace is pretty slow in a 45 million lines source code repository.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

protonesso_one

Post by protonesso_one »

Because existed Windows Whistler Personal(Home Edition)
/etc

BetaOS

Post by BetaOS »

protonesso_one
No, well... yes. It existed in Whistler builds but it wasn't OFFICIAL name for product name.
And did you read ALL of that? (6 posts, right now 7, later more) If not, you have time to read all of this.
I generally don't surf here anymore, but I might show up from time to time.

jman

Post by jman »

SmartDrive shipped with DOS since version 4.01 as well as with Windows 3.x... The overwhelmingly vast majority of systems had it. This page is one of many dealing with unicorn problems. Microsoft just missed the "Personal" when prepping the official release.