BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 2h, 18m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 6211MB of 24567MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated on the front page. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice. This also applies to other members: If you see a request by someone with less than 10 posts and it hasn't been deleted yet, please don't reply to it.
2. Don't request for warez or any copyrighted software. Only betas (no matter how old or new) and finals of operating systems and applications that are at least 10 years old and therefore classified as abandonware are allowed to be uploaded to and shared on the BetaArchive FTP server.
3. If you have your own FTP server where you'd like other members to upload what you're looking for to, please don't post its login details in any open forum as that will probably lead to abuse. Post the login details in the Private Servers section instead.
4. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers. If you don't have access to the FTP servers then ask someone who has (a moderator for example).

PostPost subject: [OFFER] Windows 95 Japanese Beta 323        Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:54 am 

Favourite OS
Win7
I brought a box of MSDN disks and it had a few disks that were the Microsoft CD-R Blue/White that were talked about a while back, on one disk there was a beta copy of Windows 95 J build 323, now this disk is just a CD-R so is not official in any way but having installed it using PCEM and installing DOS 5, copied the files from the CD to the hard disk and ran setup.exe, it asked for a previous version of windows disk, I used my windows 3.1 disk 1 and it accepted that and installed.

Now as far as I can tell its not localized to Japanese, all the applications I ran appeared in English, but the keyboard system supported Japanese input.

The build on the about box does say 323, whilst the BETA readme says build 320, so I imagine that 323 is specific Japanese build of 320. (Ignore the weird licensed to name, when I was installing it, the keyboard was set to kanji and so wrote something in there)

Link https://mega.nz/#!teRgyBLb!5Jwg4Vwtq-v6 ... U8e5k_Obvw

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [OFFER] Windows 95 Japanese Beta 323        Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I have some questions about the legitimacy of this. Besides the fact that this seems to be just a file-by-file copy into a .ZIP file, most of the files seem to have been made on January 31, 1995 or earlier. Now that's fine, but with the exception of these 3 random files being made after Jan 31, 1995.
That's kinda odd, that they're made after February 1, 1995, since the closest build that's on the FTP is Build 324 and every single file seems to be dated February 1.
Closest files I could find that has the date of February 8, 1995 is in Build 331 (which has all files dated February 9) and for February 14, 1995, closest build seems to be Build 337 (February 15)

Not to mention that the build you've uploaded seems to have the file dates scattered all over the place, unlike the other builds...

Hoping to hear some answers about this :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [OFFER] Windows 95 Japanese Beta 323        Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Yup, this seems to be an English build with Japanese support. There are later localization enabled builds as well (where the UI is in English), the most well-known being 720 and 842.

Great job on the find! :)

As for Edness, this isn't a Interim Build CD-R released to more places, like 337, so I'd doubt MS would put the same effort into changing the file dates and packing them into CABs. Also, if I remember correctly, some other Windows 95 builds in other languages (like 435, for instance) are dated later than those same builds in English, so these files could very well be real.

Anyway, here's some screenshots of this build:

(You can just continue here, no other stuff needed.)

(This bootscreen is static; no Windows logos anywhere.)

(Exchange is entirely in Japanese here for some reason.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [OFFER] Windows 95 Japanese Beta 323        Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
File dates aren't a definitive proof of anything since localized or special releases of Windows 95 were branched off and thus didn't follow the main pattern.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [OFFER] Windows 95 Japanese Beta 323        Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn
Well one of my friend mis-configured sth about harddisk of VPC, and here is the error message he gots:
Yeah, OFS... this kind of file system can be found in Cairo. So the project Cairo is So early´╝č

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [OFFER] Windows 95 Japanese Beta 323        Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:01 am 

Favourite OS
Win7
Edness, you are right it is a copy of a directory from a CD-R, i didnt want to make an ISO, because on the disk there were full retail versions of VC 4 and WINNT 3.5, there was also some partial files for beta of VB 4, I'm looking through the rest of the disks to see if I can find a version with an install, I also found more updated VB 4 files as well. I may just copy those as is maybe still useful in some way. On other disc I did find windows beta 490, but looks like there are several dumps of that one.

These are from a box of discs from a microsoft partner, I am still sorting through it, so hopefully more discoveries await.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [OFFER] Windows 95 Japanese Beta 323        Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
merlix wrote:
Edness, you are right it is a copy of a directory from a CD-R, i didnt want to make an ISO, because on the disk there were full retail versions of VC 4 and WINNT 3.5, there was also some partial files for beta of VB 4, I'm looking through the rest of the disks to see if I can find a version with an install, I also found more updated VB 4 files as well. I may just copy those as is maybe still useful in some way. On other disc I did find windows beta 490, but looks like there are several dumps of that one.

These are from a box of discs from a microsoft partner, I am still sorting through it, so hopefully more discoveries await.

Those partial VB4 files would be interesting, as well as the 490 dump, seeing as there is a possibility that it could be a unique copy. Good luck mate!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [OFFER] Windows 95 Japanese Beta 323        Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:41 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
And if the Visual C(++) 4 on the disc is Japanese, that would be interesting as well.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: [OFFER] Windows 95 Japanese Beta 323        Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I'd kindly ask you to dump anything you can, as you might have some cool new stuff. :)

Top  Profile