[Offer] Amapi 5.15w & Lightwave 7.5 Discovery Edition

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
tiebrakre

[Offer] Amapi 5.15w & Lightwave 7.5 Discovery Edition

Post by tiebrakre »

:mrgreen: Hiya fellow BetaArchivers and Archivettes! :mrgreen:

I decided to upload these (direct link discs only, no .PDFs) since the discs that accompany the books happen to have some historically interesting programmes on them... namely, Amapi 5.15w (This is a full, at-no-cost, unrestricted version), and Lightwave 7.5 Discovery Edition, which is a kneecapped version, but it has modelling, animating, and most rendering capabilities intact. Saving and exporting of files is kneecapped (only files up to 400 vertices), and there is no time limiter nor other real impediments in this Discovery Edition. Another major kneecap is no appreciable importing of files in the modeller portion of Lighwave 7.5 DE (it does allow for some different Export formats). But, as far as demo editions go, with the exception of 3ds Max's (infamous) 15-day Trial Period, it's none too shabby.

Amapi is an old, discontinued, French 3d programme, and it reminds one of Truespace back in its heyday, but Mr. Williams wanted *something* to get would-be neophyte 3d artists started modelling regardless of 3D package, as his book, "Building a Digital Human," is Exactly What is Says On The Tin. It uses primarily box primitive, Low Polygon Modelling then application of NURMS method for a higher face and vertex count, and not limited to any specific programme as he emphasises technique across platforms first (I learnt a good chunk of my go-to techniques from this very book). (If anyone happens to have, "Amapi6.1PC_US-FR_polyloop.net.zip," 64 MiB in size, I would very much like this for my collection! ;) :beta: )

The discs also have all sorts of demos and 3D assets, but most are severely limited and/or time locked (for most of them, setting your BIOS time and date back in time will work. A couple can't be registered anymore, alas). Another interesting, yet quite hobbled, demo is Maya 5.0 Personal Learning Edition (the key can be found easily online, if one knows where to look), and one of the ones time locked. It's found on the disc for the, "Digital Animation Bible," book, essentially a vanity piece for Mr. Avgerakis and his company, but does have some good advices. His main thrust is how one broke into the 3D modelling and animation industry at the time (which is very dated, though the principles of his advices still hold the test of time - "LEARN YOUR CRAFT AND SELL YOURSELF!" ;) ). He basically wanted to offer demos of the three 3D programmes he references in the book, but Autodesk (then Discreet) decided to renege on their agreement (I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I say! 8-) ) to provide a coupon for an unlimited, kneecapped demo of 3ds Max 5.

The most interesting demo is, IMHO, DarkTree 2.5, a bitmap programme that is basically what happens when a 3D programme's material editor and a paint programme's layer channels have fun-fun sexytime and this is the resultant offspring. Since DarkTree is no longer offering this programme and all support has pretty much ceased, the full "DarkTree250.exe" can be found via Teh Wayback, and it is still a rather useful little tool, especially if one uses the 3ds Max R4 and R5 DarkTree plugins included on the DAB disc.