CD/DVD in .TOAST format

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
semvalidade2006

CD/DVD in .TOAST format

Post by semvalidade2006 »

I have a quite large apple software library. My images are all in .TOAST format. I am allowed to upload to this site my images in .TOAST format?
Last edited by semvalidade2006 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

thunderbird32

Re: CD/DVD toas format

Post by thunderbird32 »

You can upload TOAST images. See here:

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... f=2&t=7884
DMG, CDR or Toast images for Macintosh releases
Don't forget they require scans of the original install media as well.

willenricardo

Re: CD/DVD in .TOAST format

Post by willenricardo »

Scan in high resolution, 300dpi or higher.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

No, 600dpi or higher. Read the scanning guide once again...
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

willenricardo

Post by willenricardo »

mrpijey wrote:No, 600dpi or higher. Read the scanning guide once again...
Sorry, I read 300dpi.

semvalidade2006

All images are high resolution taken with my phone. I have about 1,300 CD/DVD images and the same number of photos. I just need my FTP connection to work....

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

And you don't have any of the original discs left?

semvalidade2006

Hi there. I have all the original discs with me.
Two week ago I uploaded about 262 images in 7z files.
Along with the .7z files, I uploaded a .txt file with the list of images I have available.
I was expecting to receive an e-mail giving me an account/password to access your FTP server for download.
Since the rules requires CD cover images, I am revisiting my .toast images to ensure I have the associated CD cover.
Before uploading more images, I ned to be sure that I am following the correct rules.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

If we are to follow the rules then none of your scans that came with the images were proper. They were also sorted by their disc ID:s which makes it a complete mess since I need to manually resort it all to match each disc with its other discs for each system set... a massive work. I have not even checked if all the uploads were correctly uploaded since there was no hash file included. so I need to unpack everything as well.

Traditionally I would ask to get proper dumps and scans (for both myself but also for you since you would get a better copy for yourself), but now I have to manually check each disc, verify it and sort it before I can accept anything to the FTP.

But all your scans will be tagged as reference scans only, and the discs as non-original as I have nothing to go on. Your scans are of varying quality and resolution, and I have no confirmation of the source of the image files either (no dump logs or up to specs scans etc). I will try to work on the sorting next week, but if you can do anything to improve the dumps and scans let me know and we can work something out.

semvalidade2006

Hi mrpijey

Of course I can help.

From time to time I am gifted with boxes of Apple software medias. In most of the cases, I have no information about the exact hardware model the disc belongs to.

All the disc label photograph were taken using the same resolution (HR) and renamed to match the disc number they belong to. Maybe, fore very few exceptions, when I managed to find the an image for a software disc that I do not have, I used the label image that was available. In some cases, I have to agree, the label image is not in good resolution. But those are the exceptions.

All my disc dumps are, as you noticed, order by the Apple Part Number. On the last 12 years, Apple began to re-use the same disc for more than one multi-disc product. Because of this, the Apple_PN.txt file I uploaded contains on Section II, a list of products (software and hardware) with the associated media and other items (manuals, cases etc). Since what is relevant for this web-site are the images, only the PNs starting with '691-'are relevant. This same Apple_PN.txt file contains a line for every single disc image wit the full disc description.

On the past, Apple also issued the same software media with different languages. So, the disc with PN E691-1234-A and J691-1234-A are for the same software. The disc with "E" is in Spanish and the disc with "J" is in Japanese. To make easier to sort the software images, I moved the language code for after the PN (691-1234-A,E & 691-1234-A,,J). The "-A" at the end of the PN is the release for the disc image. For example, for iMovie 2, I have the physical medias for release -A and -B. To make things more complicated, Apple also started using versioning for the discs. I have some physical medias were the full PN is the same but the Disc version is different (691-1234-A,Z Disc v1.0 & 691-12234-A,Z Disc v1.3). For every single one of those software medias I saved different images.

I also agree that some of the files I uploaded has the MD5 file missing, but not all.

The compressed files has a shortened file name [691-1234-A,j,V1.3.zip]. However, the original file has full file name (691-3151-A,Z,iMac. Software Restore 1 of 4. Mac OS v10.0.3, v9.1 (CD).toast). I only added the language when the language is not English (691-2498-A,D,Power Mac G4. Software Restore. SSW v9.0.4. For Power Mac G4 Cube. Disc v2.0 (CD) [German].toast).

Recently I started adding the (C) year for every single disc (691-2498-A,,Power Mac G4 Cube. Software Restore. SSW v9.0.4. Disc v2.0_2000 (CD).toast). This is more to help me to identify the potential Apple hardware to which the disc belongs to.

Please let me know if I can keep using short file names for the compressed package or not.

I can re-run my script to re-create all the compressed packages to include the MD5 and keep the compressed package file name with long name.