IBM OS/2 Warp 4 inside Bochs

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
User5274

IBM OS/2 Warp 4 inside Bochs

Post by User5274 »

Has anybody tried to run IBM OS/2 Warp 4 in the Bochs? I was able to run 1.3, 2.11 and even Warp 3, but when I try to install Warp 4 I get TRAP 000D after loading diskette 2.

DOS

Re: IBM OS/2 Warp 4 inside Bochs

Post by DOS »

I got the same problem (Bochs 2.6.8 on Linux). I tried setting "cpu: cpuid_limit_winnt=1", I tried disabling USB (which I'd enabled even though it's not the default, since I'd used it before) and also disabling PCI and none of that helped.

I tried Bochs 2.6.9 though and it didn't fail at that point, and I was able to do a fairly standard install successfully. During and after the install it didn't seem to start up reliably, hanging at the splash screen, but normally a reset or two seems to be all that is required. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that tapping the shift keys and/or moving the Bochs window while it's starting up helps, or maybe it's random and I just didn't do enough testing to work out what is going on.

Here are the "interesting" (non-default, important, or I played with them at some point during this process) parts of the configuration, which was based on the sample from Bochs 2.6.8:

Code: Select all

cpu: model=pentium, count=1, ips=50000000, reset_on_triple_fault=1, [...]
cpu: cpuid_limit_winnt=0
memory: guest=32, host=256
vga: extension=none, update_freq=20, realtime=1
pci: enabled=1, chipset=i440fx
clock: sync=both, time0=local
floppya: 1_44=[...], status=inserted
ata0: enabled=1, [...]
ata1: enabled=0, [...]
ata0-master: type=disk, path=[...].img, [...]
ata0-slave: type=cdrom, path=[...].iso, status=inserted
For what it's worth, I have an old installation I did previously under Bochs - judging by my bochsout.txt I think I probably did it under a CVS build of Bochs 2.1.1 running on Windows XP in the year 2004 (https://sourceforge.net/p/bochs/discuss ... /929f0ec3/ (the first Google search result I found) says something about needing to use a CVS build of 2.1.1 to install Warp 4 at that time, and bochsout.txt shows that that's what I used, although I can't guarantee that's what I used for the install). This install runs fine under Bochs 2.6.8 as far as I can tell, so I guess the issue in Bochs 2.6.8 only affected the installation of Warp 4, not running it.