Alcohol 120% Guide - Out of date?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
hellllmar

Alcohol 120% Guide - Out of date?

Post by hellllmar »

I'm looking to dump some old CD media using Alcohol 120%, its a mix of games and applications but nothing with a lot of protection.

I've downloaded the portable version of Alcohol 120% linked to in the guide but the instructions that follow do not seem to match the downloaded copy of Alcohol 120%, for example on step 5 of the guide it makes reference to selecting "General Protected CD" however there is no entry for "General Protected CD" in the dropdown list. The layout and options shown in the screenshot for step 5 don't really match the version of the software downloaded from the link.

Are the guide instructions out of date or am I doing something stupid?

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: Alcohol 120% Guide - Out of date?

Post by mrpijey »

What kind of media are you trying to dump?
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

sadikyo

Post by sadikyo »

I just recently joined the forum, and just recently downloaded the Alcohol 120% linked to in the guide. So far everything has matched up perfectly. Are you using the link here?

https://www.betaarchive.com/files/A120FE_9902_PE.zip

After starting up the program, if you click on "Image Making Wizard" and click on the drop-down next to 'Datatype,' you should see "General Protected CD" in the list. You may have to scroll UP to find it, which I suppose could be counter-intuitive.

Perhaps if a different type of disc is inserted maybe this option doesn't show up? I'm not sure as I tried it without any disc and with a CD. But to answer your question, I do believe the guide and software linked here do match up - it should be version 2.0.3.9902.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

As written in the guide, all settings won't be identical when you got a DVD-ROM in the drive as it has different options. I remade the guide from scratch with the version linked and available on the site.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP