Trouble installing Windows NT 3.1 Build 475

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Meow_2004

Trouble installing Windows NT 3.1 Build 475

Post by Meow_2004 »

I'm trying to figure this out, How do I set the pentium II patch for Build 475? The disks are in floppy, so I do I edit the disk?
-Meow_2004

------------------------------
PC Specs:

Old PC
Dell XPS 630i
Intel Core 2 Quad (2.4 GHz)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
1 TB HDD
Windows 10

Current PC
Gigabyte B450M DS3H-CF
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core (3.4 GHz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
1TB NVMe SSD
x2 1TB HDDs
Windows 10

The Distractor

Re: Trouble installing Windows NT 3.1 Build 475

Post by The Distractor »

Use 86Box.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

The Distractor wrote:Use 86Box.
This.

Or if you must bother with something else, it's the same procedure as if it was a CD copy. After the text mode setup completes, don't allow the setup to continue in graphics mode, you must boot with a DOS/whatever boot disk instead and do the necessary changes before continuing with the setup.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

mallard

Post by mallard »

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

No no no. Virtualbox is just terrible for even NT 3.1 RTM, especially version 5.0 and later. Just use 86box or VPC 2007(if your OS supports it). And no, you don't edit the files on the floppy disk, rather after the text stage, boot with a dos boot disk then run edit.com to edit them from the hdd.

mallard

Post by mallard »

ovctvct wrote:Virtualbox is just terrible for even NT 3.1 RTM
Not in my experience. All NT and OS/2 based OSs run far better on VirtualBox than anything else I've tried.
ovctvct wrote:86box or VPC 2007(if your OS supports it)
86Box is too slow for NT (on a typical PC at least). VPC 2007 is will not run reliably on any OS that should be used as a "daily driver" in 2017.
ovctvct wrote:And no, you don't edit the files on the floppy disk, rather after the text stage, boot with a dos boot disk then run edit.com to edit them from the hdd.
No, you just change the CPUID reported by VirtualBox, as the linked article explained. Almost as though you didn't read it...

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- mallard: NT 4.0 and 3.x runs perfectly in 86Box on my PC, and I'm on a Pentium Dual-Core. Consider changing the renderer to Direct3D, I think it used to default to DirectDraw which is slow as heck on modern graphics cards.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

Well, of course it is slow, it'a an EMULATOR not a virtualizer.

mallard

Post by mallard »

TheCollector1988 wrote:Well, of course it is slow, it'a an EMULATOR not a virtualizer.
I understand why it's slow. That's also that reason that it's so good at running ancient DOS-based OSs (which includes Windows 9x) which don't work reliably on modern hardware or in virtualization.

But if a virtualizer can run the "target" OS reasonably reliably and much faster, why use an emulator?

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

To make it work authentic hardware of its period rather on faked hardware (Though VMware emulates a real bios, a Phoenix one).

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- mallard: Virtualizers may or may not run old NT versions reliably. We don't know how well old NT versions run under virtualization on, say, a Skylake i5/i7 or a Ryzen.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

mallard

Post by mallard »

Well, Ryzen's VME bug means it's completely broken when it comes to running older software and can't even boot XP or 2003 in virtualization without tweaks. I expect the latest Intel chips have similar "features". So sure, if you've got one of the buggy cost-cut new UEFI-only CPUs from Intel or AMD, emulation might be your only option.

For those of us with non-broken hardware, virtualization allows one to see how "good" an older OS can be, rather than how "bad" it was at the time. NT 3.1 (and later versions of NT to an extent) was well known to run poorly even on high-end hardware of the early 1990s, so the "realistic" experience of running it on, say an actual-speed emulation of a 486 with 16MB RAM is not going to be much fun.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- mallard: Fun is subjective. For me, running the OS'es in the environments they were designed to run it is much more exciting than running then in environments that were made years after.

Also, 86Box emulates up to and including a Pentium II Overdrive 333 MHz with 1 GB RAM. I think that's more than enough to make old NT versions fly. I personally run them on the Epox P55-VA board, on a Pentium 75 with 64 MB RAM, and they seem quite fast to me.

Kenneth
Donator

Post by Kenneth »

mallard wrote:
TheCollector1988 wrote:Well, of course it is slow, it'a an EMULATOR not a virtualizer.
I understand why it's slow. That's also that reason that it's so good at running ancient DOS-based OSs (which includes Windows 9x) which don't work reliably on modern hardware or in virtualization.

But if a virtualizer can run the "target" OS reasonably reliably and much faster, why use an emulator?
It's slow(er in the OS when address translation is enabled) because of the TLB not being emulated 'properly', leading to a fetch from the page tables each time an instruction that references memory is accessed. See src/mem.c, mmutranslate_read. (This is according to commit 84480b from https://github.com/OBattler/86Box.git). You end up incurring a giant performance penalty when a fetch has to occur from memory for each instruction that references a translated address.

It might be best to have a hash table that corresponds to an input address and add to buckets inside for the corresponding address translation (including removing translations from the htab when they need to be evicted), or you can do what MAME does (see http://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/Virtual_TLB) and have a giant allocated memory chunk where the software managed TLB entries can lie. Either approach should work.

This might improve performance.

whistler2250

Post by whistler2250 »

ovctvct wrote:No no no. Virtualbox is just terrible for even NT 3.1 RTM, especially version 5.0 and later. Just use 86box or VPC 2007(if your OS supports it). And no, you don't edit the files on the floppy disk, rather after the text stage, boot with a dos boot disk then run edit.com to edit them from the hdd.
I've tried VirtualBox for many NT 3.1 builds and the RTM, and I have no problems, I even have high resolution video.
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!