Photographic evidence file format

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
markot

Photographic evidence file format

Post by markot »

Some questions about the contributions rules:
Where possible, provide unaltered full high resolution scans (minimum 600dpi in TIF, PNG or BMP formats only (no other formats please)) of the media, packaging, covers and additional material (preferred).

Produce a high quality photo (minimum 600dpi) of the original product to prove it is original.
Questions:

1. Are photographs taken with digital camera accepted, and if they are, do you accept best quality JPG format that the camera produces?

2. Is the photographic evidence always mandatory when uploading? Or do you accept files without pictures?

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: Photographic evidence file format

Post by mrpijey »

1: Yes, why would we want any low quality ones?
2: Scanner first, photo second. And no, it won't be accepted without any pictures.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

mrpijey wrote:1: Yes, why would we want any low quality ones?
I assume his question was if, since it will be used as evidence that the game is original only (i.e. not some ISO downloaded from the net and converted to MDF), a lower quality photo would suffice. This is not the physical CD/box scan he's talking about (at least that's how I understand it).

@markot:
As for the first paragraph in your quoted text, for the CD/floppy/box/etc. itself, only high res scans will be accepted (no photos, since they will always have reflections and will be slightly skewed etc.)

For the second paragraph, as this is only to prove that you own the original in question, there's no real need to provide highest quality pictures with perfect lightning etc. If you want to be extra sure, include a small sheet of paper with the date and something like "for BetaArchive" on it, but it's probably overkill ;-)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

If there is a question of proving that you own a release you will be asked to write your username on a piece of paper and take a photo of it along with the titles you're supposed to prove. But for preservation requirements scans always come first and are most prioritized. You can make very good photos of the material too if you lack a scanner, but I will not accept any lazy-by-the-lightbulb grainy 0.5mpx shots with your 15 year old Sony Ericsson 1st gen smartphone.

There will be a completely reworked "master guide" of all things on BA related to dumping, scanning, uploading etc where I will reflect all this as well.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP