How to list the deleted files in a floppy image?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
RubyTuesday
Donator

How to list the deleted files in a floppy image?

Post by RubyTuesday »

I have some floppy images (IMG format) that have remnants of FAT entries that have been marked as deleted with the 0xE5 marker as the first byte of the file name, but otherwise the file names, attributes and last modified dates appear to be in tact.

Are there any applications/utilities that can list the file names, attributes and dates? Or do I need to write my own?

haroldas.velioniskis
Donator

Re: How to list the deleted files in a floppy image?

Post by haroldas.velioniskis »

I didn't quite get what you're trying do. Do you wanna recover those files or what?

RubyTuesday
Donator

Post by RubyTuesday »

Ideally I'd like to recover them, but I fear some of the file content has been written over. I'd like to at least confirm the file names, attributes and dates. It's easy enough to view the file names in a hex editor, and I suppose I could use 010 editor to view the dates too, but I was hoping there might be a utility that could dump the names, FAT info to a text file.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

back in the DOS days I used Norton Disk Doctor for that. As for today, I'm pretty sure each and every single "FAT recovery tool" (or undelete tool) out there can handle this. Just use Google to find one that you ilke
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA