How does one search for a beta build of Windows?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
ComboOfWombo

How does one search for a beta build of Windows?

Post by ComboOfWombo »

See the title
Wake me up when Chicago build 34 leaks or something...

beta.a.brian

Re: How does one search for a beta build of Windows?

Post by beta.a.brian »

Um, what. You mean a specific build, unleaked build, build with special things in it and such...
#8032forbrian came true

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

A tip for you: Many builds were released by certain groups (PWA is the most well known, but also has DoD, SCuM, NTA, MTY, etc.) to the warez scene. These groups existed back in the 1990's are were shut down and convicted in the late 1990's/early 2000's. Many if not most releaks in recent years came from the old warez scene. They can be found on warez discs, but they are very difficult to find. I'll let you search for that on your own since they also contain content against BA rules (cracks, erotic content, etc.)
Last edited by DiskingRound on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ComboOfWombo

Post by ComboOfWombo »

beta.a.brian wrote:Um, what. You mean a specific build, unleaked build, build with special things in it and such...
I meant how do people search for and find unleaked builds...

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

ComboOfWombo wrote:
beta.a.brian wrote:Um, what. You mean a specific build, unleaked build, build with special things in it and such...
I meant how do people search for and find unleaked builds...
Simple. Some people just have some unleaked builds that they decided to release.

It's not like most unleaked builds are just floating on the internet. Someone with possession of the build must leak it themselves. While there are some exceptions (mainly W10 builds that MS mistakenly put up on Windows Update's servers), that is the case for most.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

"[...] unleaked builds floating on the internet [...]".... um... unwet water? Cold heat? What about powdered water :). It floating on the internet would be the very definition of a leaked build :). To answer the OP, to find something that is unleaked you need to simply find something that is not available to the general public (such as in house developer builds, custom customer tailored builds or in general unreleased software). Through work, connections, or illegally so, hacking (i.e breaching a corporate firewall or user account and get access to internal and confidential material).

Second hand (as demonstrated by the latest releases) find pre-internet compilation discs of pirated software and hope the group released pre-release builds. Those would also be considered unleaked as they never went "online" and didn't spread in a regular fashion like todays releases.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

mrpijey wrote:Second hand (as demonstrated by the latest releases) find pre-internet compilation discs of pirated software and hope the group released pre-release builds. Those would also be considered unleaked as they never went "online" and didn't spread in a regular fashion like todays releases.
The internet did exist in the mid-late 1990's. However, 99.8% of those sites are currently down, so nowadays they'd be considered unleaked.

Many of those builds are also mislabeled or corrupted. I just found what appeared to be Nashville PP build 1074 from my contact, however it was just 1072 with 80% of the files corrupted. Completely useless. I will try to ask him for a re-dump of the tape to see if a complete 1072 could be obtained.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Actually, the actual Nashville Plus Pack Build 1074 was scene-leaked as well, but we're still missing the first two ZIP's of it.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Battler wrote:Actually, the actual Nashville Plus Pack Build 1074 was scene-leaked as well, but we're still missing the first two ZIP's of it.
Who knows... maybe one day a complete one will be found, perhaps from original media or CD.... or maybe from another warez group. Good things come to those who wait.

ComboOfWombo

Post by ComboOfWombo »

Another question: what would be considered the holy grail of Windows beta builds?

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

ComboOfWombo wrote:Another question: what would be considered the holy grail of Windows beta builds?
Personally, anything before DR5, Windows 2.x betas, any NT before October '91, any Chicago/Cougar/whatever build before 56, a different Neptune build, or really early Longhorns.
Another build I'd like to see include Millennium build 2368. With Activity Centers. I did contact a guy who had this build a long time ago, but he never bothered to answer (because EMail's from 17 years ago are unlikely to still work). While the odds are low, I'd like to see them.
Seeing older posts in this forum though one build often considered 'legendary' was Memphis 1134.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

ComboOfWombo wrote:Another question: what would be considered the holy grail of Windows beta builds?
Depends on who you ask. I'd personally be most interested in early Chicago (let's say pre-122 or pre-58s even) or Neptune.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

WindowsCollector2000

Post by WindowsCollector2000 »

The Holy Grail of Windows Betas to me would be anything under DR5, earlier 95 Builds before 58s (or 56), NT July 1991 or earlier, earlier NT4 (if any), earlier NT5, Memphis, NepTune, Whistler 2415, and Odyssey. I'd like to see older LongHorn betas as well :P
i do things.
Pre-Whistler 2428 builds are underrated tbh

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

WindowsCollector2000 wrote:Whistler 2415
That was a demo build. These builds very rarely leak. Like Longhorns, 4050, 4015.l06, 4018...
WindowsCollector2000 wrote:Odyssey
No evidence any builds of that were compiled.

Also, sometimes on eBay there are very good original beta disks. One member here leaked most of his releases this way. You also better know what you're getting, as warez dumps can be mislabeled or corrupted (Chicago 122 mislabeled as 124, Windows 95 build 347 mislabeled as 478, a certain NT 3.5 build 683 which is entirely broken).

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Jajan131 wrote:Image
:beta: 8-)
What build is this? Where did you get this? Any more screenshots? Is it even real?

ComboOfWombo

Post by ComboOfWombo »

DiskingRound wrote:
What build is this? Where did you get this? Any more screenshots? Is it even real?
What is this a screenshot of?

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

ComboOfWombo wrote:
DiskingRound wrote:
It looks exactly like the Windows 1.00 very early GUI shown in a Byte microcomputer magazine demo from 1983. There's no indication if that screenshot is real though. Have a look:
Do you possess this, is it a mockup, or did your friend send? If so can he share?
Last edited by DiskingRound on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ComboOfWombo

Post by ComboOfWombo »

DiskingRound wrote:
ComboOfWombo wrote:
DiskingRound wrote:
It looks exactly like the Windows 1.0 Byte demo from 1983. There's no indication if it is real though.
:OD Holy crap! IIRC DR5 is from 1984? This is big! A pre-DR5 build! (Hopefully its real)

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- Jajan131: Could you please upload this somewhere? This would be one of the things we've been looking for quite some time now.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

ComboOfWombo

Post by ComboOfWombo »

Strange how I ask about Windows beta builds, someone mentions pre-DR5, then this happens!

ComboOfWombo

Post by ComboOfWombo »

:beta:
The suspense is KILLING me! We need to get this uploaded!

OltScript131

Post by OltScript131 »

Sorry, the first photo is not real, it's just a design very realistic I drew... A view in 86Box if we had this version... Sorry... :$ :beta:
For the second, it is real and the download link is below ! :D
Microsoft Mouse (Leaked by ToastyTech) : http://toastytech.com/guis/msmouse.html
Oh, I just remembered :
History of Microsoft - 1983 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvx5L3RnjAA

But in August 2016, I tried to contact Bill Gates on Image, but I had no answer because it was not the time to ask him questions...

Gnome
Donator

Post by Gnome »

Well, quite a mess we have here. Topic is (almost?) useless, so lets end it now. To OP, include more in your posts, give it more context.