BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 11h, 0m | CPU: 23% | MEM: 7474MB of 24567MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: JANUS. = Windows and MS-DOS        Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:33 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
This is a combined install of Windows and MS-DOS, Battler provided the necessary download.

It is on nine 1200k floppies, essentially an MS-DOS 5.00a + Windows 3.10 base install. I compared the files to the common installs of these versions, noting the files that differ in CRC and size to each other. This is the resulting list.

Code:
Files in win3.1 changed etc to janus

APPS.INF       CONTROL.INF    MAIN.CPL       NETWORKS.WRI   PRINTERS.WRI
PSCRIPT.DRV    README.WRI     SETUP.EXE      SETUP.HLP      SETUP.INF
SETUP.TXT      SHELL.DLL      SYSINI.WRI     UNIDRV.DLL     WININI.WRI

Files in msdos 5.0 changed etc to janus

APPNOTES.TXT   AUTOEXEC.BAC   AUTOEXEC.BAT   EGA.SYS        EMM386.EXE
EXPAND.EXE     HIMEM.SYS      PACKING.LST    RAMDRIVE.SYS   README.1ST
README.TXT     SETUP.EXE      SETUP.INI      SMARTDRV.SYS

Files in janus not in 5.0/3.1

APPNOTES.TXT   APPS.INF       AUTOEXEC.BAT   CONTROL.INF    DELOLDOS.EXE
DISK7          DISK8          DISK9          DMDRVR.BIN     DOSSETUP.EXE
DOSSETUP.HLP   DOSSETUP.INI   HDBKUP.EXE     HDRSTORE.EXE   MAIN.CPL
NET.EXE        NETBEUI.DOS    NETWKSTA.1XE   NETWKSTA.2XE   NETWORKS.TXT
NETWORKS.WRI   NUSETUP.EXE    PACKING.LST    PRINTERS.WRI   PSCRIPT.DRV
README.1ST     README.TXT     README.WRI     REDIR.1XE      REDIR.2XE
SETNAME.EXE    SETUP.EXE      SETUP.HLP      SETUP.INF      SETUP.TXT
SHELL.DLL      SSTOR.SYS      SYSINI.WRI     UNIDRV.DLL     UNINSTAL.EXE
WININI.WRI     WINSETUP.EXE   XBIOS.OVL

You do expect a lot of the readme files, install files to be different. Janus has also hdbkup.exe/hdrstore.exe, and network support.

Removing these, we get a handful of windows files upgraded: main.cpl, pscript.drv, shell.dll and unidrv.dll. These represent an update to win310, but earlier than ww0981 (win310 to win311 stepup).

Curiously we see there's a sstor.sys (superstor compression driver), but no further setup files. This may represent a third-party fix file.

The present review set (M531), represents then a combined dos/windows setup. In practice it's an upgrade. My experience with base setups is that they are one-shot-only, while upgrades go over and again.

The files are compressed with SZDD, that is, "compress2 -r *.* targetdir". This means the DOS files are different to the 500a files, but you just run expand -r file.ex_ c:\dos to get the dos file name.

Installation

It requires a known version of DOS on the hard drive, since it's an upgrade. None the same, it is bootable, and runs nusetup at the start.

Install proceeds as per normal, setting first DOS and then Windows up seamlessly. Then the install starts windows up and finishes the install.

I installed it over PC-DOS 5.02 and PC-DOS 5.00, without much hassle. It's just a matter of installing the disks one after another.

Network Install

You can unpack the diskettes to a directory on the hard disk, and then run install from there. This is how one might install DOS 6.x or Windows. DOS 5.x does not install like that, and we are generally stuck to diskettes here.

Setup does run from the fixed drive, (eg c:\janus\). The setup is fast and clean on VPC, but installs only windows, rather than windows and DOS. So your old DOS is still there. It only installs windows, not DOS. The 'old_dos' directories are pretty empty. So it looks like you can't install janus off a cdrom, just the windows part of it.

Running

There is no real difference between this version and MS-DOS 5.00 + Windows 3.1. The magic is in the setup. The one redeeming feature is that you can expand DOS files with the expand -r option.

Odds and Ends

The windows setup mentions 'win-os2' at the very end.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: JANUS. = Windows and MS-DOS        Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:35 pm 

Favourite OS
AmigaDOS 1.3
If anyone goes looking for stuff relating to Janus, please be aware that Janus is also the name of the system library used with Commodore's Amiga bridgeboards (there was an Amiga-side component as well as a PC-side component), so anything called "PC Janus" is probably for the Amiga

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: JANUS. = Windows and MS-DOS        Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:18 pm 

Favourite OS
Whistler
whats this obsession with dead and burried win3.x ?
or even DOS ????

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: JANUS. = Windows and MS-DOS        Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
LuLu wrote:
or even DOS ????

Offtopic Comment
I honestly don't know. It's something I never really think about.

One reason though is that this is computer history, preservation and collection, etc. It's good to know how these old versions evolved into the Windows 10 we all use today.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: JANUS. = Windows and MS-DOS        Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
LuLu wrote:
or even DOS ????

I think you may have missed the goal of this site.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: JANUS. = Windows and MS-DOS        Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Some of us grew up with Windows and DOS. The windows text-mode install carries on well into Windows XP, and the sorts of skills you pick up in Windows 3.1 are not lost on other programs.

We must recall that even 'the right to fix things' is being threatened by the companies, to the extent that people are taking the matter to courts and legislature. Windows has gone from a free-for-all fix-o-rama to an installed blob. In part, this is due to court cases in the 1980s, which saw the diminishing of selectable install options.

But it is interesting, that the ideas inherent in Windows 3.0 are still with us some 15 to 20 years later. Even windows ME is not imune to post-fix additions and subtractions, but it's a little harder than 3.0.

The world has gone from people hacking their cars into hot-rods as in the fifties and seventies, to a world where you need to hook your car up to life-support to change a spark-plug, and the same has gone with installs. It is time to take the world back, one OS at a time.

Pulling DOS and windows apart, removes the idea that it's a single package, but rather a grab-bag of different ideas strung together in the same box. When DOS and Windows as here is 18 MB, and the computer is 80 MB, you see where the art of thinning things out comes from. Read the Win31 reskit!

And yes, some of it is chrome. The recent PC-DOS 6.00 beta has a version of MSD called IBM Diagnostics. It's a nice replacement to slip into an OS/2 install, or into something like PCDOS 5 or 6. The MSD 3.01 thing, i retitled 2.12 (as it fits between 2.11 of DOS and 2.13 of Win95 disks), and my composite Win9x install disk has versions 2.10, 2.11, 2.12, 2.13 and 2.14 on it!

My own K7654 even goes as far as to call it Win-OS/2 in the help-about dialog. It's a matter of tracking where this and that comes from.

Kept me employed for money for ten years!

Top  Profile  WWW