BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 0h, 47m | CPU: 9% | MEM: 4190MB of 8191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: MS-DOS directory names with spaces help?        Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:53 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
So I'm screwing around with an old All-In-One Windows ISO from 2003 that contains every version of Windows up to Server 2003, and the directory names in this ISO have spaces, which doesn't allow me to get to that directory in DOS. Can someone tell me how to get around spaces in DOS directories?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS directory names with spaces help?        Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:08 pm 
Donator

"Surround the directory in quotes."

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS directory names with spaces help?        Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222 B
Wheatley wrote:

Yeah, just surround in quotes (Yeah that's for Windows and not DOS; I misinterpreted that one). Also, on UNIX or any system based on it, backslashes\ are\ used\ if\ I\ remember\ correctly.

Last edited by JackArchive on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS directory names with spaces help?        Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Wheatley wrote:

Just because DOS looks like a Windows command prompt, that doesn't mean it understands quotes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS directory names with spaces help?        Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:27 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
xelloss wrote:
Wheatley wrote:

Just because DOS looks like a Windows command prompt, that doesn't mean it understands quotes.

Thank you! Every solution I've found upon Google searching was meant for Windows CMD, and like you said, quotes don't work in DOS! It throws up something along the lines of, "Unknown parameters"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS directory names with spaces help?        Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:58 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
You can't get around that. Recreate the ISO without long file names.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS directory names with spaces help?        Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:04 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the help!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS directory names with spaces help?        Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Battler wrote:
You can't get around that. Recreate the ISO without long file names.

Actually, he could XCOPY the content of the CD to the hard drive, then rename directories using wildcards like this:

C:\>MOVE A?NAME A_NAME

c:\a name => c:\a_name [ok]

Of course this cannot be done on readonly media.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS directory names with spaces help?        Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian Linux Stable
When LFN support first came out it still needed to be backwards compatible with DOS so LFNs would be stored also as something like SHORTN~1. If you're accessing the disc from an old enough version of DOS that it doesn't support LFN you should be able to see those short names in the directory listing. If the directory listing shows the longer names including spaces then the version of DOS you're using supports accessing LFNs and you should be able to put quotes around the name.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS directory names with spaces help?        Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
You can access spaces under the CMD prompt of OS/2 or Windows, but DOS is different to just the 'command prompt'.

Microsoft called the CMD prompt the 'dos prompt', and people have been confusing the two eversince. Under OS/2, there's an 'os/2 prompt' and a 'dos prompt', and no one ever confused the two.

You can generally manipulate spaces if the command supports wild cards, eg 'ren WP?DATA.?SF WP_DATA._SF. If you can't use wild-cards, it's really a no-go. Even using rabbit-ears won't work. You would be better off using something like an OS/2 prompt.

Another thing is that browsing with COMMAND.COM won't show directories that don't fit 8.3, even if there is no spaces. eg, DOS won't change to a directory WORKPLACE, because that has 9 letters, and most DOS versions don't understand the VLFN hack of microsoft dos 7+.

If you really want to fiddle with directories under DOS, you need to pull them with an NT or OS/2 or linux command. Make sure it understands the joliet or rock-ridge extensions to the cdrom.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS directory names with spaces help?        Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:02 pm 

I am afraid a file named "testfile123456.txt" -> "testfi~1.txt"
And a directory "oldjoessecretdokuments" would be "oldjoe~1"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS directory names with spaces help?        Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
DOS itself would not see long file names. If you put oldjoesecretdocuments on a cdrom, DOS simply would not see it. Even the Windows 9x command.com can't see the full long file name under DOS.

The joliet file system was supposed to get around this series.

You could use something like ldir and lren to work around this.

Top  Profile  WWW