Longhorn on real hardware

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Windows8Lover

Longhorn on real hardware

Post by Windows8Lover »

I haven't done this yet, but, have you guys have any problems install Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.4074.idx02.040425-1535 / Windows Longhorn Build 4074.

Specs:

Dell DE051 Series BIOS Revision A01/Dimension 1100
768MB RAM
2.53Ghz Celeron
Intel graphics controller (inside the CPU)

Valerio

Re: Longhorn on real hardware

Post by Valerio »

I never had trouble installing Longhorn build 4074 on real hardware, just remember that Longhorn doesn't support SATA natively and doesn't support HD Audio. Infact, I once installed Longhorn on an ASUS EeePC 1000H, where everything worked fine, except Realtek HD Audio, and I was unable to set up my internet connection because it looks like Longhorn lacks support for WPA2. Everything else was fine, including the integrated Intel GMA 950 and Aero. Then, I tried to install Longhorn on my newer HP 630 laptop with a Dual-Core Celeron and GMA 4500MHD graphics, but it didn't work because of the SATA HDD, which caused BSODs. Also, keep in mind that I installed most of drivers by setting up compatibility mode for Windows XP.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

That desktop should be fine running longhorn, provided it has IDE drives. If audio doesn't work, use the csdversion change by leomate, and install msuaa using XP compat. https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17038

>Valerio
I can remember telling about the MSUAA Patch + CSDVersion change which allows longhorn to support HD Audio.
I was also able to connect WPA2 using longhorn.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Bob Pony

Post by Bob Pony »

I've gotten aero to work on real hardware on build 4074

Valerio

Post by Valerio »

@yourepicfailure Yeah, I've heard of the HD Audio update, but actually I've never tried it. And how did you manage to connect with WPA2? IIRC Longhorn natively supports only up to WPA. Did you use any third party program?

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

I, myself, was able a couple of times get Longhorn working on real hardware. Just make sure to use a somewhat period correct setup.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

longhornwhistler
Donator

Post by longhornwhistler »

I got 4074 x64 to work on my SATA Optiplex 380 seamlessly. The only issue was installing the graphics card and audio drivers. (Still can't find those :P)
"Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations." - Steve Jobs

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjx ... C1dNISF8ZQ

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

I've ran Longhorn on real hardware in the past, Your Dell Dimension 1100 should suffice since I ran build 5112 on an Optiplex GX260 with the same specs aside from the CPU which was a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4, The only issue I see is you might not be able to get DWM/Aero to work on the integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 GPU since it's limited to DirectX 6.3 level functions and IIRC Pre-reset DWM requires a DirectX 8 GPU, Your PC should take a compatible PCI video card from what I've read.

My Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop took build 3718 pretty nicely and that has similar specs to your Dimension desktop, So yeah, Your setup should pass as long as you use a PATA/EIDE Hard Drive.

Recommended Pre-Reset DWM video cards (from my experience and what I've heard) include: ATi Radeon 8500-x1900, and nVidia Geforce 4Ti through 8000 series, I've gotten 5112's DWM to work on a Geforce FX 5200 AGP Card, So if you'd like to replace the video card, There are my suggestions.

Windows8Lover

Post by Windows8Lover »

Valerio - If it has WinXP, then it's definitley IDE. Also I have no control over the BIOS for a PS/2 reason.

yourepicfaluire- IDE is right.

BobPony- I have WinXPHE drivers, will they work in WinLH4074.idx02.040425-1535

Windows OS- Installing it on a partition L:\, (Vista on V:\, XP on C:\)

gabegriggs1- That won't help, as it will be 4074 x86, not x64.

MSUser2013- Hmm... I want Desktop Window Manager working so I might buy the ATi Radoen x1900 to replace my Intel graphics controller,
I've tested DX9, DX8 and DX7 on my controller, (but it dosen't support Shadow Model) but will get a ATi Radeon x1900 in the future.
4074 x86, is based off 3718 x86 so it would be almost the same in the code.

So far it's been good, my whole family (I'm 8), doesn't use laptops, but my mom has a iBook with a dead hard drive. She plans to replace the hard drive, but it takes 3 HOURS. My dad also has a laptop, but it doesn't work at all.

EDIT: With a USB Mouse, will longhorn be able to use it? (During setup)

BetaNewbie

Post by BetaNewbie »

Some early Longhorn builds have an interesting bug.

The PE has to be booted from a CD/DVD, otherwise, setup will crash.

BTW: Some suggestions for graphics.

For pre-reset builds, any graphics card that has a XP driver and supports DirectX 9+ should work.

For (pre-)beta 1, use Radeon 9000 series and GeForce FX 5000 series.

For beta 2+, use Radeon 9000/X1000 series, GeForce FX5000/6000 series, MCP51 integrated graphics, 945G integrated graphics.

Note:
These cards has the WDDM/LDDM drivers built in to the OS.
And I have test the Radeon 9550 and GeForce FX5200, both work perfectly in Longhorn.

If you have a card with WDDM in beta 2, you will see an animated background in OOBE!
And yes, that is what "winsat aurora" is actually for.

Windows8Lover

Post by Windows8Lover »

It's 4074.idx02.040425-1535 x86 (if you don't know what x86 means), 32-bit.
Hence the build number, the compilation date is: 3:35p.m. on 25th of April, 2004.
I can't use a CD-ROM because their all 702MB.
We don't have DVD-Rs or DVD-RWs.
DX9 Intel Graphics (Not the original Celeron, but the latest one in 2006, Feb).
I have the drivers on XP Home SP3 x86

BTW: Harddrives

C:/: WinXP Home SP3 x86
L:/: (planned) Longhorn 4074 Pro x86
V:/: (planned) Vista SP2 x86.

nerd70

Post by nerd70 »

You can install longhorn 4074 on real hardware, but why would you install a buggy piece of crap on an actual machine?

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

Why not? There is nothing wrong with playing with an old spare computer... I'd recommend upgrading the machine to at least 1 GB of ram though, to have a bit more wiggle room.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Windows8Lover

Post by Windows8Lover »

768MB max, PS/2 Keyboard

PeterFalk

Post by PeterFalk »

Windows Longhorn 4074 on VMWare

Windows8Lover

Post by Windows8Lover »

I'm not giving up, PeterFalk.

PeterFalk

Post by PeterFalk »

Windows8Lover wrote:I'm not giving up, PeterFalk.
I just lost interest in Longhorn. Everything has long been re-tested. Nobody merges really rare assemblies into the network, although they have people, and from this forum.

Windows8Lover

Post by Windows8Lover »

Oh, maybe someone somewhere will give you some old build that was never tested

Windows8Lover

Post by Windows8Lover »

Update: Bought 2GB of RAM for my PC.
Thanks to Dell for telling me.

je2854

Post by je2854 »

While in tech school, i had Longhorn completely installed with everything working. Albeit was circa 2005-6 ish...

Beta12

Post by Beta12 »

I tried to launch the Longhorn Server 16497 x64 and x86 beta installer. BSOD 7E appears on computers with an i3, i5 processor:
Longhorn x64 BSOD 7E on ThinkPad X220:

Longhorn x86 BSOD 7E on ThinkPad X220:

Longhorn x86 BSOD 7E on ASUS P8H61-M LE R2 (WinDbg log): https://pastebin.com/JVxP6JsB

On older x86 (e.g. VIA C7) or x64 (e.g. Core2Duo) computers, the 7E error is missing and the Longhorn installer starts.

mibrab

Post by mibrab »

Beta12 wrote:I tried to launch the Longhorn Server 16497 x64 and x86 beta installer. BSOD 7E appears on computers with an i3, i5 processor:
Longhorn x64 BSOD 7E on ThinkPad X220:
<snip>

Longhorn x86 BSOD 7E on ThinkPad X220:
<snip>

Longhorn x86 BSOD 7E on ASUS P8H61-M LE R2 (WinDbg log): https://pastebin.com/JVxP6JsB

On older x86 (e.g. VIA C7) or x64 (e.g. Core2Duo) computers, the 7E error is missing and the Longhorn installer starts.
0x7B = INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

This means you have your disk controller set to SATA. Set it to IDE and it should boot just fine ("Disk Mode: Legacy" on the X220)
Also known as Cvolton elsewhere...

Beta12

Post by Beta12 »

mibrab wrote: 0x7B = INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

This means you have your disk controller set to SATA. Set it to IDE and it should boot just fine ("Disk Mode: Legacy" on the X220)
Read my post carefully again. I have a 7E, not a 7B error 8-) 8-)

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Is this from a DVD or usb?
Does it crash immediately, or does it show something before it crashes? Does it even get to the loading screen?
This is most likely a driver / hardware issue.
You can try older gfx cards and disable integrated graphics, disabling USB, unplugging as many devices as you can, using an IDE drive, disabling acpi / power management, disabling anything else that's accessible from the bios, etc.
Hopefully someone else can provide more specific troubleshooting steps, I'm not personally too familiar with PE boot issues.

Beta12

Post by Beta12 »

MrBurgerKing wrote:Is this from a DVD or usb?
Does it crash immediately, or does it show something before it crashes? Does it even get to the loading screen?
This is most likely a driver / hardware issue.
You can try older gfx cards and disable integrated graphics, disabling USB, unplugging as many devices as you can, using an IDE drive, disabling acpi / power management, disabling anything else that's accessible from the bios, etc.
Hopefully someone else can provide more specific troubleshooting steps, I'm not personally too familiar with PE boot issues.
I boot from DVD:
  • Press any key to boot from CD or DVD...
  • Windows is loading files... with progress bar
  • sometimes I see bootscreen © Microsoft Corporation with green progress bar but only for a second
ACPI must be probably enabled (screenshot from VMware):