BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 5h, 7m | CPU: 54% | MEM: 2722MB of 8191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: FTP contribution        Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:55 pm 
FTP Access

I have original CD discs for all Visual Studio 6.0 service packs. You can't even find these online anymore, even through archive.org. I'd like to upload the ISO images them to gain FTP access. When I click the link to apply for access, I'm dropped into this board so I assume I must post. The FAQ doesn't say where I should post, so I'm posting here. I hope that didn't break any rules!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP contribution        Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:27 pm 
VIP

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
There is a generic upload account with which you can upload to the FTP. You should be able to see it if you click the "FTP Servers" button on the top right of this page.

Just out of curiosity, where was that link you had to apply for FTP access? It probably needs to be changed...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP contribution        Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:07 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
You can find full information on how to contribute here: http://www.betaarchive.com/contributions.php

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP contribution        Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:56 am 
FTP Access

I clicked on "--> Apply for FTP Access <--" to get here. When I originally tried the upload link and I saw the "Whoops! Sorry, you do not have sufficient access to view the main servers.", I missed the part at the bottom with the public server details. I apologize. I will dump the CD as MDF instead of ISO as over the weekend. Thanks

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP contribution        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:02 am 
FTP Access

I uploaded "Service Pack 3" for Visual Studio 6.0 along with scanned 600-DPI BMP image of CD all using descriptive filenames as required; everything compressed with 7z. If this qualifies me for FTP access, I can upload the rest of the original service pack CDs I have for Visual Studio 6.0. Thanks

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP contribution        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:06 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Please don't use dated formats like BMP. Use PNG instead. BMP is pointlessly large and PNG is just fine otherwise.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP contribution        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:30 pm 
FTP Access

Sorry Andy, I was just following the instructions (at https://www.betaarchive.com/contributions.php) and BMP was listed as an acceptable format:

"Where possible, provide unaltered full high resolution scans (minimum 600dpi in TIF, PNG or BMP formats only (no other formats please)) of the media, packaging, covers and additional material (preferred)."

My scanner software doesn't support PNG, however I'll convert it to PNG next time. Does the upload otherwise meet the contribution criteria?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP contribution        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:49 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
No problem, I actually didn't realise we still listed BMP on there. It would still make sense to use PNG though as BMP is a horrible format with no compression.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP contribution        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:30 pm 
FTP Access

I'm going to ask this question again because I'm not sure this discussion thread qualifies for an official "application" for FTP access. I might not be smart enough to find it on this site as I've searched many times... where in the forum do I apply for FTP access? I've been up and down the topics and I see plenty where FTP access is required to read and post and I've come across topics where people speak of an area to post an application for FTP (not application as in software) but I cannot find it. Any link or assistance would be appreciated? I figured uploading the software and posting something somewhere (like here) was enough, but I'm not sure. Thanks

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP contribution        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OpenNT
You open this link ucp.php?i=167
and select the FTP user group.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP contribution        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:37 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Further more clicking the FTP servers button will give you a message which contains the link.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP contribution        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:26 pm 
FTP Access

Thanks guys... I just found the "Join selected" option

Top  Profile