Hidden Longhorn Plex theme in MS Office 2003

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
electron826

Hidden Longhorn Plex theme in MS Office 2003

Post by electron826 »

While installing Microsoft Office 2003 on Windows Longhorn build 4015,
I noticed that the toolbar wasn't themed Cyan, as it is when the Luna theme is selected.
It was a really light blue, which I have never seen in Office 2003 before:

Office 2003 with XP's Luna theme enabled:

Office 2003 was released around the time when Longhorn builds containing the Plex theme were still being developed.
Could Microsoft have been anticipating that the next RTM build of windows would contain the Plex theme, and have added support for it, for forward-compatibility?

Overdoze

Re: Hidden Longhorn Plex theme in MS Office 2003

Post by Overdoze »

Not surprising actually. IIRC Office XP UI was also originally designed to work with Whistler's Watercolor theme.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

I'm not so sure whether or not this is something that's 'build in functionality' into Office or just a result of Office using the system's current color scheme. The latter does seem more plausible to me. There is no reason why Office should have adopted the Plex style as it was only used as a placeholder theme and never meant for public eyes - same holds for Watercolor.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Office 2003 was designed to take a theme color from the system and apply it to itself to match the current setting, and 'feel' right.
Run Office 2003 under Vista, and you get a similar color.
I have not tried this with the other themes available for Xp(embedded, black, noir themes) but I'd assume it would act the same with those.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

yourepicfailure wrote:Office 2003 was designed to take a theme color from the system and apply it to itself to match the current setting, and 'feel' right.
I have not tried this with the other themes available for Xp(embedded, black, noir themes) but I'd assume it would act the same with those.
Plus, I'm pretty sure that if you play around with the classic theme colors, Office should also follow suit...
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

electron826

Post by electron826 »

Windows OS wrote:
yourepicfailure wrote:Office 2003 was designed to take a theme color from the system and apply it to itself to match the current setting, and 'feel' right.
Plus, I'm pretty sure that if you play around with the classic theme colors, Office should also follow suit...
You're correct, playing with the colours did change the theme!

Also, is the Office 2003 UI drawn by the processor at runtime, or is it stored as a series of bitmaps (like the rest of the Windows theme), which are then tweaked to match the system colour?

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

For the largest part the UI consists of controls from the common control library (comctl32) part of the Win32 API. They are drawn by GDI. Some of the more Office specific UI probably are controls from libraries installed by Office itself.

alexcbrookes
Donator

Post by alexcbrookes »

Really wish they kept this theme... It was quite unique, and (in my opinion) better than what eventually became Aero...